- "Red... red blade... after you... made me tell... the Ghost is in danger."
- ―A Rebel trooper, after being attacked by Maul
Maul's lightsaber was a double-bladed lightsaber wielded by the former Sith Lord Maul during the reign of the Galactic Empire. He used it to fight the Inquisitors, and later the Jedi rebels who came to Malachor seeking Sith knowledge. Maul later used it on his hunt for Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi, slaughtering several Tusken Raiders with it before confronting his old nemesis. It was in this final duel that Maul was defeated, the lightsaber was bisected in a similar manner to his first when Kenobi sliced it in two. However, unlike last time, both halves of the lightsaber remained functional. Maul merely deactivated them as he prepared for death.
The lightsaber produced two crimson-red blades, and the upper grip-guard resembled that of the Inquisitors' lightsabers, albeit broken and bent outward. He would hide the hilt by attaching a piece of wood to it, and pretending it was a walking stick, all the while masquerading as a feeble old man.
By 10 BBY, Maul already possessed the lightsaber. When Qi'ra contacted Maul after the death of Dryden Vos. Maul activated it while threatening her, adding that they would be working more closely in the future.
Behind the scenesEdit
In an interview with The Star Wars Show, Sam Witwer explained that the production of Solo: A Star Wars Story had originally planned to reintroduce Maul's original lightsaber during his scene with Qi'ra. Witwer, who had voiced the character in his later appearance in Star Wars Rebels, suggested that they should use another lightsaber associated with Maul as he didn't have the original lightsaber; either the Darksaber or his Rebels lightsaber.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (Appears in hologram)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition (Appears in hologram)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD (Appears in hologram)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 7 (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twilight of the Apprentice" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Holocrons of Fate"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Visions and Voices"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Twin Suns"