- "It's ionized gas, water vapor, possibly vacuum-breathing life forms swirling around The Maw."
- ―L3-37, describing the Akkadese Maelstrom
The Maw Cluster, also known simply as the Maw, was a planet-sized gravity well located in the Akkadese Maelstrom. Glowing a faint amber, it swirled and sucked all area debris to fall in and be crushed inside of it. It was also home to vacuum breathing creatures such as the Summa-verminoth. 
Shortly after the raid on Kessel, Han Solo, a member of Beckett's gang, flew the Millennium Falcon near the Maw Cluster in order to escape a squadron of TIE/ln space superiority starfighters that had begun pursuing them after they stole coaxium from a Pyke Syndicate mine on Kessel. While Solo was able to escape the TIE squadron, he unintentionally woke a massive, vacuum-breathing beast called a Summa-verminoth. Solo flew incredibly close to a gravity well in the cluster. The summa-verminoth followed, but was caught by the gravity well. The massive beast's skin was torn from its skeleton and was devoured by the gravity well, while the Millennium Falcon escaped due to Tobias Beckett putting a microscopic amount of coaxium into the hyperdrive.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Maw first appeared in the 2018 movie Solo: A Star Wars Story. It originated in the 1994 Legends book series The Jedi Academy Trilogy. In Star Wars Legends, the Maw Cluster surrounded a prison that contained Abeloth, a powerful member of The Ones.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Adaptation 5
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures – "Han Solo - Galaxy's Best Smuggler" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide (First identified as Maw Cluster)
- The Art of Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor
- Star Wars: Scum and Villainy: Case Files on the Galaxy's Most Notorious
- (Picture only)