Maxiron Agolerga was a Human male native of Naboo and the Pontifex of the Brotherhood of Cognizance. In 22 BBY, he was approached by a woman who identified herself as "Veré", who wished to be married to a man identified as "Set". Agolerga agreed to perform the ceremony, and did so at Varykino, Lake Country. The young couple insisted that their union be kept a secret, and so Agolerga kept only limited records of it.
Maxiron Agolerga was the Pontifex of the Brotherhood of Cognizance, an arcane religious order of approximately twenty members that resided in Naboo's mountains. Agolerga counted among his friends the Naberrie family, and in 22 BBY, he was approached by the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO, who were presenting a private holographic message. Agolerga accepted the message, which contained an image of a young woman who was requesting that he perform a secret marriage. The Pontifex was surprised by the request, as no member of the Brotherhood had presided over a marriage for 300 years, since civil ceremonies had become popular during the reign of King Narmlé.
Agolerga accepted the task, and donned his holy purple robes, before the two droids led him to a Gondola Speeder, and took him to Varykino, an estate on the other side of the Lake Country. There, the Pontifex met the young couple, who identified themselves as "Veré" and "Set", named for the fabled Veré and Set, lovers in an old Futhork legend. After a brief ceremony, Agolerga pronounced the couple husband and wife. Before he departed Varykino, "Set" instructed the Pontifex not to tell anyone of their union, and so the only record Agolerga maintained of their matrimony was kept on a scroll in the Brotherhood's archives.
Agolerga later recorded the event once again, this time in a data book. When it was learned that the people he had wed were Senator Padmé Amidala and Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker, he passed the information onto Amidala's niece, Pooja Naberrie. The information, however, had not been kept as much of a secret as Agolerga thought, as both a member of the civil clergy and Captain Quarsh Panaka of the Royal Naboo Security Forces had discovered it, and seen fit to inform Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, who used the information to bend Skywalker to his will in 19 BBY.
Personality and traitsEdit
Despite the fact that he had been summoned to perform a wedding he knew nothing about, Agolerga was willing to take part in the ceremony. He was surprised that he, a member of a largely forgotten religion, was being tasked with marrying two people.
Behind the scenesEdit
Maxiron Agolerga first appeared, as the "Naboo Holy Man," in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones. In Matthew Stover's novelization of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, it is implied that a member of Naboo's civil clergy weds Skywalker and Amidala, which conflicted with the "holyman," identified in the various Attack of the Clones adaptations. The character was also identified as a holyman in The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, The New Essential Chronology, and Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels.
Through StarWars.com's Hyperspace feature What's The Story?, Tim Veekhoven, writing as "Sompeetalay," identified the character and elaborated upon his story. Since Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force, which had identified the character as a friend of the Naberries, had been released after he had written the entry, but before it was published, Veekhoven was unable to reference it in his work. He derived the character's name from that of Manuel Aringarosa, a character from Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (junior novelization)
- Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones 4
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (PhotoComic)
- "Memory Loss"—Star Wars Comic 13 (Appears in flashback(s))
- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader (Appears in flashback(s))
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 119 (SEC 1-2, Secret Union)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- The New Essential Chronology
- Star Wars Chronicles: The Prequels
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Special Edition (Picture only)
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- (First identified as Maxiron Agolerga)
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones: The Ultimate Illustrated Guide