- "I have a friend, runs a cantina, he's looking to sell some food, but he wants to start basic. Can you make some Meat Jerky?
I can do that.
Ok, make five stacks of Meat Jerky and then bring them back to me."
- ―Gendra and a trader
Meat Jerky was a meat that had been dried and cured. It was not particularly filling, but for meat lovers it was satisfying to chew on throughout the day.
- "Well, you can either get it from the bazaar, or perhaps you can find someone willing to trade you some raw meat. Better still, perhaps you can find a partner, someone to kill the creature and then let you have the meat. Either way, you should be fine."
- ―Gendra, to a trader, regarding how to best acquire the raw ingredients required to make Meat Jerky
Meat Jerky was a type of meat that had to be dried and cured. Although it was not a particularly filling food, meat lovers found it satisfying to chew on throughout the day. As it was not an overly complicated food, traders with artisanal skills were more than capable of preparing the dish. To make Meat Jerky, the cook required a couple simple ingredients, including raw meat and hide extract. Meat Jerky could be made from the raw meat of many different creatures throughout the galaxy. Tonitran jerky was a specific type of jerky made from the meat of the tonitran lizard. Ewok Jerky was yet another specific example of jerky made from the meat of Ewoks.
- "Ah, that meat was fantastic. Er, I mean it looked fantastic. I didn't sample it. No, not at all. But if I had I would have said you were a great chef."
- ―Gendra, to a trader
Around 3638 BBY, a specific type of jerky called tonitran jerky was served at the Blaster's Path, a cantina on the planet Rishi. During the Clone Wars, another type of jerky called Ewok Jerky was served in Pons Ora's Power Sliders, located on the remote planet Abafar. During the time of the Galactic Civil War, following the Battle of Yavin in 0 BBY, a male Quarren named Gendra resided in the city of Mos Eisley on the planet Tatooine. Gendra claimed to be a friend of a cantina owner who was looking to stock up on basic food items for his hungry patrons.
Fortunately for Gendra, the famed Rebel Alliance smuggler, Han Solo, referred to him a trader looking to learn the basics of food preparation. Gendra put the aspiring chef to work by requesting an initial order of five stacks of Meat Jerky. In need of ingredients, Gendra recommended to the trader to buy the raw ingredient from the bazaar, or better yet, find a partner to help hunt creatures for fresh meat. In the end, the trader successfully completed the order, and returned the five stacks of Meat Jerky to him for inspection. Gendra claimed not to have sampled the jerky, but it was not clear if he was being truthful. Regardless of whether or not he ate the order himself, Gendra was certainly impressed by how the Meat Jerky looked.
Behind the scenesEdit
Meat Jerky was included as a food item in the 2003 video game Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by Sony Online Entertainment and published by LucasArts, prior to its closure on December 15, 2011. Following the release of Publish 25's New Game Enhancements on November 15, 2005, the food could be crafted by players of the trader profession by using a number of different resources, including meat and hide. A non-player character named Gendra was included as part of the expansive Legacy Quest series. In order to teach players the fundamentals of crafting, one of the quests offered by Gendra was for traders to create five stacks of Meat Jerky. Although the player could choose not to do Gendra's quests, this article assumes 100% game completion. Capitalization of the food's name was somewhat inconsistent within Star Wars Galaxies, however this article assumes it was fully capitalized, as Gendra's quest dialogue primarily featured it as such.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Mentioned only) (as Tonitran jerky)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action" (Mentioned only) (as Ewok Jerky)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Missing in Action"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- ↑ Using information from the novel The Old Republic: Annihilation and Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Fallen Empire, the events of Game Updates 2.0 through 3.3 for Star Wars: The Old Republic can be placed in the time period between 3640 BBY and 3637 BBY. According to The Old Republic lead designer Charles Boyd (screenshot), the game's events can be assumed to occur in a timeline matching that of their real-time release. Therefore, the events of Game Update 3.0 and the Digital Expansion Shadow of Revan can be placed in approximately 3638 BBY.
- ↑ Important Information About Star Wars Galaxies. Sony Online Entertainment (2011-06-24). Archived from the original on November 24, 2011. Retrieved on July 25, 2015.