- "It is a mechanic's code that Tam and I came up with. We used it to discuss your lack of mechanical skills and knowledge without you overhearing us."
- ―Neeku Vozo to Kazuda Xiono
In 34 ABY, a mechanic's code was developed by Nikto Neeku Vozo and human Tamara Ryvora, mechanics aboard the Colossus station, to discuss fellow mechanic Kazuda Xiono's lack of mechanical skills and knowledge in secret. The code used a series of beeps and whistles as a form of communication and could be used as shorthand for emergencies.
In 35 ABY, Ryvora connected her comlink to MSE droid 5-L to transmit a message to Xiono's comlink in the code—requesting to meet him in three cycles on the planet Castilon. When Xiono did not understand the sounds coming from his comlink, Vozo identified that the message was in the code which he had created with Ryvora. After Vozo explained the code's origins, Xiono was shocked but was more concerned with understanding the message. Vozo then translated the message into Basic for Xiono.
Behind the scenes
The code was first mentioned in part one of the two-part episode "The Escape," the finale of the second season of the television series Star Wars Resistance, which aired on January 26, 2020. In the original script, Ryvora contacted Xiono using Vozo's native language of Kada'sa'Niktoese. This was changed to make the interaction more personal.
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Escape"
- "Resistance Revisited" – Star Wars Insider 190 establishes that Star Wars Resistance Season One is set thirty years after the Battle of Endor and six months before the Battle of Starkiller Base. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and the Battle of Starkiller Base to 34 ABY. Kazuda Xiono, Neeku Vozo, and Tamara Ryvora were only mechanics together during Star Wars Resistance Season One; therefore, Vozo and Ryvora developed the code in 34 ABY.
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy places the events of "The Escape" fifty-four years after the formation of the Galactic Empire, which occurred in 19 BBY according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas, meaning that "The Escape" takes place in 35 ABY.