- "Merit adoptives are always on probation until they've proved themselves. But once they do, and once they've passed the Trials, they'll hold a much more secure status."
- ―Ar'alani to Thrawn
The process to evaluate a candidate typically took two to three months, although Kivu'raw'nuru was adopted into the Mitth family much faster than that as the Mitth family Patriarch Mitth'oor'akiord intervened on Vurawn's behalf. Merit adoptives brought in via military service automatically lost the relationship when said service ended. However, those who proved themselves particularly worthy, typically by performing the Trials, could rise to Trial-born, which allowed them to keep the connection.
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising (First appearance, simultaneous with Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising audiobook)
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising audiobook
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good audiobook
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Lesser Evil audiobook
Notes and references