Message pods were small automated message drones capable of carrying messages through hyperspace. However, some message pods didn't have a propulsion system and had to be recovered at a later time. They were commonly carried on Cha'a drone ships, such as the Zeta Five. Its message pod was dispatched to Merchant Lord Ssk Kahorr when the ship was destroyed traveling too close to the star Primus Goluud. The Sun Crusher also carried message pods, and Kyp Durron escaped its destruction by cramming himself into one.
Messenger pods or hyperspace messenger units were created and used solely by Kuat Drive Yards, around 4 ABY, to secretly record the actions of their customers and other engineering firms. With the return-trip navigational coordinates hardwired into the elongated silver ovoid that was a messenger pod, an accelerated decay module provided enough power for a one time jump in and out of hyperspace. Using a built-in identity probe and several self-destruct modules, the messenger pod genetically tested the opener to confirm that they were the correct recipient. After correctly dismantling the pod in a specific order, the opener found a highly modified holoprojector unit that played once then self-destructed.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith 1: Into the Unknown
- "Only Droids Serve the Maker"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 10
- The Mandalorian Armor (Appears as messenger pod)
- Slave Ship (Appears in hologram)
- Dark Apprentice (First appearance)
- Champions of the Force
- Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones
- Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur
- Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Bounty
Sources[edit | edit source]
- "So You Want To Be A Jedi..."—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 13
- The Essential Chronology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia