- "Our goal isn't conquest, but alchemy. The transmutation of the galaxy. We are a catalyst; where rebellion comes into contact with the Empire, change must occur. The substance of oppression becomes the substance of freedom—and as with any such change, terrible energyes are released: war, victory, and defeat."
- ―Micha Evon, to Hazram Namir
Micha "Howl" Evon was a human male soldier who served as a captain in the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Galactic Civil War. He fought against the Galactic Empire during the Mid Rim Retreat, during which Evon was in command of the 61st Mobile Infantry, commonly known as Twilight Company. Evon was a founding member of Twilight Company, leading it through many battles until his death at the Battle of Hoth, after which command was taken by Hazram Namir. Evon was close to Lieutenant Sairgon, who became one of the few individuals to know of the captain's background. Evon was rumored to be a teacher before his time with Twilight Company, yet who he truly was died with Sairgon, who was killed during an Imperial insurgency of Twilight Company at the same time as the Battle of Hoth, except in a different part of the galaxy.
Micha Evon was a human male who was a Captain in the Alliance to Restore the Republic. He founded the 61st Mobile Infantry, more commonly known as Twilight company, some time during or before 0 BBY and led them through many battles. The Twilight soldiers came to nickname him Micha "Howling Mad" Evon, or Howl for short, because of his unique ideas. Twilight company had two ships, the CR90 corvette Thunderstrike and the Braha'tok-class gunship Apailana's Promise.
At some point, Twilight company was recruiting on Veron and a bounty hunter called Brand joined with a bounty on Evon. She smuggled her kit onto the Thunderstrike. In the Battle of Allst Prime, Twilight company's Forward Air Control officer Cait was killed and Evon had to take her place directing the company's two X-wings. He then went with Brand to the Governor's office and Brand killed Governor Magé. Brand then took the opportunity to get her bounty and pointed her blaster at Evon. However Evon was smarter than she thought and saw this coming. He continued as if nothing had happened and told her what he knew of her back story. He then offered Brand a chance to stay in Twilight company of which she accepted.
Evon endured many things during his time as captain. During an open recruit on Demiloch, an Imperial Spy pretending to sign up shot him and Lieutenant Sairgon had to call it off early. Evon had woken up two days later to be incensed of what Sairgon had done. At another point, Twilight Company faced a crippling defeat at Magnus Horn and the Alliance High Command attempted to reassign the soldiers. Evon fought to keep the company together and saved it from decimation.
Evon led them in the advancement into the Mid Rim, on planets such as Phorsa Gedd and Bamayar, and in the Mid Rim Retreat where they would assist the Alliance Fleets withdrawal from the Mid Rim. In 3 ABY, Twilight company launched a campaign on Haidoral Prime where they defeated the forces in the capital Haidoral Administrative Center One. In the campaign, Brand, Sergeant Hazram Namir, the Besalisk Gadren and the imperial defector Charmer infiltrated the Governor's mansion and extracted the defecting Governor Everi Chalis. Chalis offered to help the Alliance with her knowledge on the workings of the imperial war machine. Although almost all of the Twilight members doubted her, Evon saw her as a chance.
Chalis supplied valuable information during the Coyerti campaign on Coyertis main distillery of which Brand, Namir, Gadren and Haidoral recruit Roach destroyed. Following the campaign, the company was attacked in by an Imperial Destroyer and retreated only to be attacked again in the Enrivi system and Chonsetta system. The Thunderstrike was being tracked through a leakage from the ships hyperdrive and it desperately needed repairs. Evon and the officers had a meeting on how they would get the supplies for repairing the Thunderstrike and Chalis helped them plan a Raid on an Imperial heavy freighter of which they carried out successfully with the loss of two Sergeants Fektrin and Ajax. The Thunderstrike got the leakage repaired and Evon got permission for the Thunderstrike and the Apailana's Promise to rendezvous to a flotilla in the Elochar sector where the Thunderstike would get more repairs.
Whilst the Thunderstrike was at the flotilla, Evon and Chalis were invited to Alliance High Command's secret headquarters, Echo Base on Hoth, and they took Namir and Twilight soldiers Roja and Beak with them. They went to the base and met with General Philap Bygar who showed them to the Alliance High Command. There Evon, Chalis and Bygar attended a strategy conference focussed on Chalis's charts of the Imperial logistical network whilst Namir and the other two helped around the rest of the base. Shortly after the conference, the Empire discovered the base and launched an attack. They deployed All Terrain Armored Transports onto the ground to wreck havoc on the outside and destroy the deflector shield generator. Evon received a gash, presumably from falling, during the initial bombardment of Echo Base, and Chalis, who was meant to be on the first transport that left Echo Base, stayed behind to help him get out, but failed. She could not get him out without help.
Namir, Roja and Beak came and attempted to help Chalis, and they made it to the only entrance and exit to Echo Base, the hangar. But, Darth Vader and a squad of Blizzard Force stormtroopers were entering Echo Base at the same time they were coming out. Namir, Roja, and Beak fired at Vader, to no effect. He was too powerful for them, bisected Beak before deflecting Roja's grenade and knocking Namir unconscious and killing Roja. Namir, before losing conciousness, watched as Vader choked Chalis, who believed he had come for her. Vader, however, was looking for Luke Skywalker, and tossed her aside. Namir then lost conciousness, and Evon died of blood loss.
Personality and traits
Micha Evon was a mystery to the other members of Twilight Company. Sergeant Fektrin believed he was a teacher before the war. But only Lieutenant Sairgon knew of Evon's past, being very close to the man. Evon did many things for Twilight Company. Following a crushing defeat at Magnus Horn, Evon fought to keep the company together when the Alliance High Command tried to reassign them. When Hazram Namir first met Evon, the man was trying to recount past memories and managed to remember his first schoolyard crush, a Twi'lek girl named Iania. During Howl's funeral, Twitch recounted her experience with him on Chenodra where the man started talking to her about the buildings.
Behind the scenes
- "Howl is also the moral compass of the company—not in the sense, necessarily, that he's always right, but in the sense that it's his moral philosophy that drives Twilight to act as it does. And while it's nice to have a leader with ethics, I also wanted to make following Howl a little bit uncomfortable; even if his motives are pure, do we really want to put our lives in this guy's hands?"
- ―Alexander Freed
Micha Evon appeared in the 2015 canon novel Battlefront: Twilight Company, written by Alexander Freed. In an interview with Daily Dot, Freed described Evon as someone who lacked the "polish or sensibilities" of a military officer but was good at his work regardless, being definitive for the character of Twilight Company's recruits. He also came to explain that the captain was the moral compass of the company in the sense that his philosophy drove Twilight Company's actions. Freed further mentioned his intention to make it uncomfortable to follow Evon, having a number of questions being asked of his leadership thanks to his eccentricities.
- "Inbrief" – Star Wars Insider 161
- "Inbrief"—Star Wars 2016 Del Rey Sampler
- "Inbrief"—Battlefront: Twilight Company (Paperback edition)
- "Inbrief" – Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2019
- Battlefront: Twilight Company (First appearance, simultaneous with Battlefront: Twilight Company audiobook)
- Battlefront: Twilight Company audiobook
- "Blaster" – Star Wars Insider 161
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 58 (Databank A-Z: Tusken Raiders–Captain Typho) (Picture only)
Notes and references
- In Battlefront: Twilight Company Micha Evon perishes during the Battle of Hoth, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 3 ABY.
- Battlefront: Twilight Company
- The main events of Battlefront: Twilight Company are set twenty-two years after the Clone Wars, which ended in 19 BBY, according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas. Those events must have therefore occurred in 3 ABY.
- Geller, Eric: Alexander Freed takes us into the trenches of his latest 'Star Wars' novel (November 3, 2015) published by Daily Dot on www.dailydot.com: "Twilight Company is the first canon 'Star Wars' novel to delve deeply into the 'war' part of the saga's name." (archived from the original on September 3, 2017)