- "I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two."
- ―Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
The Military Creation Act was a bill proposed in the Galactic Senate during the Separatist Crisis that would have allowed the Galactic Republic to form an army to combat the Confederacy of Independent Systems, a group of star systems that had broken away from the Republic. The legislation was opposed by Senator Padmé Amidala and other senators who had formed the Loyalist Committee. As the threat of the Separatists grew more pronounced to the Senate, Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks proposed that Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine be given emergency powers to raise an army on his own. The motion passed, and the Republic adopted the clone troopers created on Kamino as the Grand Army of the Republic, leading to the Clone Wars and, eventually, the rise of the Galactic Empire.
The consequences of this motion were immediate. New star systems declared their independence, reluctant to pay more taxes to finance this army. Others announced that they would not abandon their own armed forces in favor of the eventual Republic Army. The Corellia system, one of the founding systems of the Galactic Republic, even closed its borders, but without declaring its independence.
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First mentioned)
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Tarkin audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Darth Vader (2020) 3 (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Senator Padmé Amidala states that she spent a year prior to outbreak of the Clone Wars trying to defeat the Military Creation Act. As Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the outbreak of the Clone Wars as occurring in 22 BBY, the Military Creation Act must have been proposed by 23 BBY.
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- "Prelude to the Clone Wars and the First Battle of Geonosis" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "The Separatists" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Emperor Palpatine" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines