- "So if you're a captain, and I'm a Jedi, then technically I outrank you, right?"
"In my book, experience outranks everything."
- ―Jedi Padawan Ahsoka Tano and Clone Captain "Rex," upon becoming acquainted with each other for the first time
An individual's military rank was their placement within a military hierarchy. The military forces of the Galactic Republic, the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the Chiss Ascendancy, the Galactic Empire, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, the New Republic, the First Order, and the Resistance all utilized military ranks in their hierarchy.
The Republic Military during the Clone Wars consisted of millions of clone troopers, genetically identical troopers bred to serve the Republic. Clone troopers within the Grand Army of the Republic had the ranks of, from highest to lowest, Clone Marshal Commander, Clone Commander, Clone Captain, Clone Lieutenant, and Clone Sergeant.
Non-clone individuals such as Jedi serving the Galactic Republic's Army and Navy had the ranks of Captain, Commander, such as Ahsoka Tano, Colonel, such as Meebur Gascon, Admiral, such as Wullf Yularen, and General, such as Jedi Master Pong Krell.
Confederacy of Independent Systems
The Separatist Army was almost completely made of droids, which consisted of droid soldiers of the Techno Union, the Commerce Guild, and the Trade Federation. Military ranks used for biological beings in the Separatist Droid Army were the ranks of Captain, Commander, Colonel, and General. One of the most infamous Confederate Generals was the cyborg Grievous.
The Imperial Navy's officer corps had several ranks. From lowest to highest, they were: Ensign, Junior Lieutenant, Senior Lieutenant, Captain, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral, Fleet Admiral, and Grand Admiral. Commissioned officers were trained at the Royal Imperial Academy on Coruscant and other similar Imperial Academies.
Some known ranks in the Imperial Army included Corporal, Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, First Sergeant, Sergeant Major, Lieutenant, Commandant, Commander, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel, Brigadier General, General, and Grand General.
The First Order navy and army had a ranking system with the insignia worn on the left sleeve of the uniform, unlike its predecessor, the Galactic Empire. Squad leaders and Sergeants wore black uniforms, Lieutenants and Captains wore light gray, and Majors and Colonels wore teal, while General officers wore charcoal gray uniforms.
The Resistance army was distinguished by red badges and composed of six different ranks: The Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Commander, Colonel, and most importantly, the General rank, held by Leia Organa.
The Resistance navy had the same ranking system as the Resistance army, with badges blue in color as opposed to red. the General rank being replaced by the Admiral rank, which was held by Gial Ackbar, and the addition of the lieutenant commander rank, held by Nien Nunb.
- Star Wars: Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 20 (Databank A-Z: Saw Gerrera–Commander Gree)
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Heroes of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Smuggler's Guide
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 53 (Helmets: Nien Nunb)
Notes and references
- Dark Disciple
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ambush"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Secret Weapons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Heroes on Both Sides"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Kanan 7
- Kanan 9
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Lords of the Sith
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Lords of the Sith
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- Darth Vader (2015) 2
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: New Adventures