- "Behind the controls of the fastest ship in the galaxy, with the reputation of your crew at stake, where will you go?"
- ―Disneyland website
Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run is an attraction found at the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge themed area of Disneyland, and Disney's Hollywood Studios. The attraction puts multiple guests into the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon, where they each have a specific job during a mission. The outcome of the ride's events and the performance of the guest will give them a reputation that will affect other experiences within Galaxy's Edge beyond the ride itself. Prior to the official name of the ride being revealed at Destination D 2018, it was given the working title "Big Bird". It opened with the rest of Galaxy's Edge on May 31, 2019 at Disneyland and August 29, 2019 at Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World.
At Disney's D23 Expo on July 15, 2017, a presentation uncovered additional details about the attraction's story. Artwork depicted Chewbacca and Hondo Ohnaka outside of the Millennium Falcon and it was revealed that an agreement between the two would lead to a crew being needed for one of Ohnaka's endeavors. On December 13, 2017, the Disney Parks Twitter feed posted an image from the interior of a portion of the ride. Like all of the events portrayed at Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, the ride takes between The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker.
On March 28, 2018, it was revealed that instead of a traditional ride film, the Millennium Falcon ride film was being developed by Lucasfilm's immersive entertainment studio ILMxLAB as a real-time rendered experience in partnership with NVIDIA and Epic Games. The "ride film" runs on the Unreal Engine and is powered by a group of eight NVIDIA Quadro P6000 GPUs, with five QuadroSync projectors offering ultra-high resolution picture.
Voice actor Jim Cummings reprises his role as Hondo Ohnaka from Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels for the attraction. Ohnaka appears in the form of an Audio-Animatronic figure in the ride's pre-show, and as a live action character on video screens throughout the ride itself.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
|Organizations and titles||Sentient species||Vehicles and vessels||Weapons and technology||Miscellanea|
Organizations and titles
Vehicles and vessels
Weapons and technology
Bibliography[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Breznican, Anthony (2019-02-27). How Disney theme parks made Galaxy's Edge part of the Star Wars storyline. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on October 13, 2019. Retrieved on February 28, 2019.
- Champagne, Rick (2018-03-28). Walt Disney Imagineering, NVIDIA Develop New Tech to Enable Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Millennium Falcon Attraction for Disney Parks. Nvidia. Archived from the original on March 11, 2020.
[edit | edit source]
- Take a new tour of the Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run ride at Disney parks (backup link)
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run page at official Disneyland website
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run page at official Walt Disney World website