- "[...] What I need you to do is go to Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, establish an outpost for the Resistance, and collect as much support as possible among the locals and visitors. We need bodies. We need friends. We need skills. We need ships and food and fuel. We need eyes and ears on the ground. We need a place we can go if everything falls apart, a place so far off the map that the First Order has forgotten it even exists."
- ―General Leia Organa, to Vi Moradi
The mission to Batuu, later known as the Battle of Batuu, was a battle that took place during the war between the First Order and the Resistance. Initially a mission by the Resistance to find allies and sanctuary on Batuu and an occupation by the First Order when it deployed the 709th Legion to occupy Black Spire Outpost and capture or kill Resistance fugitives, it erupted into a battle between the two factions.
The loss of the Resistance base on D'Qar forced the Resistance High Command to evacuate their base. However, General Armitage Hux tracked the Resistance fleet through hyperspace and gave chase through space. Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo eventually sacrificed herself and her cruiser to allow the remaining Resistance fighters to escape to the planet Crait in the Crait system.
- "There are Resistance scum hiding out here somewhere on Batuu—and the Red Fury will burn down this entire rats' nest to smoke them out, Lieutenant Agnon."
- ―First Order stormtrooper sergeant
When the First Order received word that there was a Resistance presence on Batuu, The First Order deployed the 709th Legion to occupy the Black Spire Outpost and eliminate all Resistance forces in the area.
The First Order's search for Resistance spies led the 709th to the Den of Antiquities, where they interrogated the shop's owner, Dok-Ondar. While questioning the Ithorian shopkeeper, the sergeant inspected one of the relics—the lightsaber of Jedi General Ki-Adi-Mundi, who fought in the Clone Wars until he was betrayed and executed by his clone troopers.
Dok-Ondar interpreted the sergeant's questions as veiled threats and claimed he was nothing more than a humble proprietor, but the sergeant had heard of his reputation for selling valuable relics for the right price, which led him to believe that the Resistance would seek out Dok-Ondar in order to acquire the Jedi lightsaber.
Before the stormtroopers could leave, having warned Dok-Ondar to report any contact with the Resistance or suffer the confiscation and destruction of property, the Ithorian took note of the sergeant's ignorance of galactic history and felt the need to explain how he procured the lightsaber.
Supreme Leader Kylo Ren later arrived at Batuu on board the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer Finalizer. While the bulk of the 709th operated within Black Spire Outpost, First Order Mountain troopers patrolled the mountain ranges surrounding the outpost for Resistance activity. On the surface, Ren confronted Resistance spy Vi Moradi. The Jedi Rey dueled Ren, but he was forced to leave when he was alerted to an "incident" on the destroyer.
Battle of BatuuEdit
Members of a Resistance group stationed at a base in the Black Spire Ruins on Batuu were briefed on a mission by Resistance operative Rey via a hologram projected by BB-8. The team boarded an Intersystem Transport Ship commanded by Lieutenant Bek and piloted by Nien Nunb. While being escorted by Poe Dameron in his X-wing, along with other X-wings, the transport crossed paths with the Finalizer, got caught in its tractor beam, and was brought on board. Dameron's fighters were forced to flee the scene in order to go for help.
The Resistance members were taken captive and scheduled to be interrogated before they were broken out of their cell by another group of Resistance operatives who had infiltrated the ship. They included Finn, who was secretly on board disguised as a stormtrooper. During their escape in a First Order Fleet Transport vehicle, the Resistance members crossed paths with stormtroopers, All Terrain Armored Transports, and Kylo Ren. The crew of the First Order ship was taken by surprise when a large group of Resistance starfighters, bombers, frigates and other vessels jumped out of hyperspace led by Dameron in his fighter, starting the attack. The Resistance fleet engaged the Star Destroyers, while starfighters attacked one another. During the engagement the fleeing recruits were nearly captured by Kylo Ren before a Vakbeor-class cargo frigate broadsided the Star Destroyer, but was soon destroyed by overwhelming attacks from the Finalizer's weapons emplacements. The recruits' transport then boarded an escape pod that traveled through the space battle and returned them back to the ruins on Batuu, where their pod and Bek's came in for a rough, but relatively safe landing.
Due to the heavy damage sustained by the Finalizer during the battle, Kylo Ren transferred his command to his new flagship, the Steadfast. He brought Hux with him to the destroyer, where he would now serve below General Pryde and have little independent authority.
Behind the scenesEdit
The mission to Batuu first appeared in the first issue of the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge comic series that was released on April 24, 2019. It will also make an appearance in the novel Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire and made up the storyline for the Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge theme park.
Within the Rise of the Resistance attraction and in the event of the Kylo Ren animatronic not functioning properly, an alternative "B-Mode" final encounter between him and the guests takes place where he brings his TIE silencer to the window outside to locate the guests before a shot knocks him away.
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire (First identified as mission to Batuu)
- Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire audiobook
- Galaxy's Edge 1 (First appearance)
- Galaxy's Edge 2
- Galaxy's Edge 3
- Galaxy's Edge 4
- Galaxy's Edge 5
- A Crash of Fate
- A Crash of Fate audiobook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Rise of the Resistance
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only) (First identified as Battle of Batuu)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 Galaxy's Edge 1
- ↑ Spark of the Resistance
- ↑ Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run
- ↑ Star Wars Resistance – "The Escape"
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- ↑ According to a timeline shown at D23 Expo 2019, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge takes place in the same year as Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, which Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary places in 34 ABY. As it takes place in the same year, the mission to Batuu must take place in 34 ABY.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 8.16 8.17 8.18 8.19 8.20 8.21 8.22 8.23 Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge—Rise of the Resistance
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 Galaxy's Edge 2
- ↑ Galaxy's Edge 4
- ↑ Galaxy's Edge 5
- ↑ A Crash of Fate
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Breznican, Anthony (2019-02-27). Star Wars actors bring their characters to life in Disney theme parks' Rise of the Resistance ride. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Retrieved on February 28, 2019.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P7yVcss9Ag
- Breznican, Anthony (2019-02-27). How Disney theme parks made Galaxy's Edge part of the Star Wars storyline. Entertainment Weekly. ew.com. Archived from the original on October 13, 2019. Retrieved on February 28, 2019.