The Rebel Alliance launched a mission to rescue underground rebel leaders from the planet Giju before Imperial agents arrived. Red Squadron escorted a transport away from the planet, and fought several TIE fighters, destroying several before making the jump to hyperspace.
The Battle[edit | edit source]
A few months after the Battle of Yavin, the Rebel Alliance sent three T-65B X-wing starfighters from Red Squadron, led by Commander Arhul Narra, on a mission to protect a transport carrying underground rebel leaders being evacuated from the planet Giju before Imperial agents arrived. Narra (Red Leader) led the transport away from the planet, while Lieutenant Wedge Antilles (Red Three) and Lieutenant Luke Skywalker (Red Five) were in the rear, keeping the TIEs busy. Initially, they encountered a patrol of TIE fighters, which they were able to eliminate, but then it seemed to them like the Empire sent every fighter it had in the system to engage the rebel raiders.
While weaving through the convoy of other bulk freighters leaving the planet, the two X-wing starfighters used a "scoot and shoot" maneuvre, with Skywalker in the lead, and Antilles directly behind on his tail. Inbound enemies could only target Skywalker, while Antilles scooted up and down, emerging from cover to fire at the attackers. This enabled them to destroy three TIE fighters, however, four more TIE fighters were hidden amongst the freighter convoy, waiting in ambush. Skywalker was distracted at the time, as he had sensed something in the back of his mind, however, Antilles quickly snapped him back to reality, and the TIEs were eventually destroyed. Once the transport was clear, Narra ordered his pilots to activate scatter protocols, where each pilot followed a randomly chosen zigzag path through hyperspace, making several jumps to foil anyone that might track them back to the Alliance Fleet above Devaron.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (First appearance)
- The Weapon of a Jedi, Part 1 (First pictured)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure places the events of this mission a few months after Luke Skywalker stops being a moisture farmer in the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas states concluded in 0 ABY. Therefore, this mission must have taken place around 0 ABY.