- "I am the Eye of Webbish Bog. I know what you seek. [...] You've been seeking it for a while, yes? I must warn you, our fiery planet burns away deception. If you proceed down this path, you will encounter your true self."
- ―The Eye of Webbish Bog, to Supreme Leader Kylo Ren
Following an ominous threat of revenge broadcast by the long-deceased Emperor Palpatine in 35 ABY, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren immediately focused his efforts on eliminating what he perceived as a challenge to his newly obtained power. Guided by the teachings of his former master Snoke regarding the arcane lore of the Sith religion, Ren's course of action centered on travelling to the fiery world of Mustafar, hoping to find artifacts that would aid in his search for the legendary planet Exegol, the hidden world of the Sith.
- "He's gone mad. Flames of rebellion burn across the galaxy and Ren chases a ghost."
"No, someone was behind that transmission. And Leader Ren will answer to no one."
- ―General Hux and Allegiant General Pryde
Leader Ren was accompanied to the scorched world by both General Armitage Hux and the Galactic Civil War veteran Allegiant General Enric Pryde, who would oversee Kylo Ren's onslaught while discussing the nature of Palpatine's alleged broadcast.
Once planetside at Corvax Fen, Kylo Ren and a squad of stormtroopers engaged the Alazmec of Winsit, a devout sect of Sith cultists which worshiped Ren's grandfather, the Sith Lord Darth Vader. The Alazmec sought to defend the castle grounds of Fortress Vader from the First Order incursion, though they were no match for the Supreme Leader and his elite troops. Fueled by rage and determination, Ren brutally cut down the Alazmec cultists in his path, eventually clearing out the entire group that stood before him and his escort. Ren continued alone, and met the Eye of Webbish Bog. Ren tried to Mind trick the symbiotic creature, but it was immune. The Eye then pointed the Supreme Leader toward Vader's Sith wayfinder.
- "It will guide you through the Unknown Regions. To the hidden world of Exegol. To him."
- ―The Eye to Supreme Leader Ren
With the opposition extinguished, Ren located the Sith artifact, and set course for its coordinates—Exegol—aboard his TIE/wi interceptor, seeking to finalize his goal to destroy Palpatine and secure his position as the galaxy's sole ruler.
Behind the scenes
Originally, Armitage Hux and Enric Pryde accompanied Kylo Ren to retrieve the wayfinder. While their actors, Domhnall Gleeson and Richard E. Grant filmed the scene, it was cut from the final product. The novelization of the film, however, included this scene.
- Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- (Indirect mention only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker one year after the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 34 ABY. Therefore, the events of The Rise of Skywalker must take place in 35 ABY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Expanded Edition