- "We can't retreat. New Republic Command says we have to deliver the intel to the Resistance."
- ―Kazuda Xiono to his squadron
During the cold war between the New Republic and the First Order, New Republic pilot Kazuda Xiono and his squadron were given a mission by New Republic Command to deliver top-secret information to Commander Poe Dameron of the Resistance.
Elements within the New Republic obtained intelligence regarding the First Order, and Resistance sympathizers within the New Republic's military knew that they would benefit from this information. Thus, a rendezvous with Commander Poe Dameron was arranged in order to deliver the data. T-85 X-wing pilots Hugh Sion, Mia Gabon and Kazuda Xiono were chosen to go on the mission. However, the First Order somehow learned of the planned rendezvous and arranged an ambush.
Shortly after the three pilots arrived at the designated rendezvous point, they were ambushed by Major Elrik Vonreg of the First Order. Vonreg, a highly skilled pilot, proved more than a match for the three New Republic pilots, and Sion and Gabon were concerned that they would all be shot down before Dameron's arrival. Xiono, however, was insistent that the mission had to be completed. He ordered Sion and Gabon to escape into hyperspace as he covered them, reasoning that the mission could still be completed with one pilot. He promised to follow right behind them.
Alone, Xiono held out against Vonreg briefly before his engines were shot out. As he and his astromech R2-C4 tried in a panic to restore the engine power before Vonreg shot them down, Dameron arrived just in time, drawing Vonreg away from the disabled T-85 X-wing. As the two fought, Xiono managed to get his weapons online, and suggested to Dameron that he lead Vonreg towards him. When Dameron did so, Xiono opened fire on Vonreg, damaging his ship, and he was forced to flee.
Shortly after, a CR90 corvette dropped out of hyperspace to pick up the two X-wing pilots. Onboard, Xiono delivered the data to Dameron, who reported to General Leia Organa via hologram. After finding the eager Xiono attempting to listen in, Dameron told him that the intelligence revealed that the First Order was planning to launch a major attack on the New Republic. Eager to help, Xiono begged to join the Resistance, and Dameron agreed, assigning him on a mission as a spy to the Colossus platform on the planet Castilon, where his piloting skills would assist with his cover.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Station Theta Black" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Rebuilding the Resistance" (Indirect mention only)
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars Resistance: Meet the Pilots
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Poe Dameron 14
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 2.21 2.22 2.23 2.24 2.25 2.26 2.27 Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"
- ↑ According to a timeline shown at D23 Expo 2019, Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit" takes place one year prior to the events of Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places "The Force Awakens" in 34 ABY, meaning Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit" takes place in 33 ABY.