- "We can't retreat. New Republic Command says we have to deliver the intel to the Resistance."
- ―Kazuda Xiono to his squadron
During the Cold War between the New Republic and the First Order, New Republic pilot Kazuda Xiono and his squadron were given a mission by New Republic Command to deliver top-secret information to Commander Poe Dameron of the Resistance.
Prelude[edit | edit source]
Elements within the New Republic obtained intelligence regarding the First Order, and Resistance sympathizers within the New Republic's military knew that they would benefit from this information. Thus, a rendezvous with Commander Poe Dameron was arranged in order to deliver the data. T-85 X-wing pilots Hugh Sion, Mia Gabon and Kazuda Xiono were chosen to go on the mission. However, the First Order somehow learned of the planned rendezvous and arranged an ambush.
The mission[edit | edit source]
Shortly after the three pilots arrived at the designated rendezvous point, they were ambushed by Major Elrik Vonreg of the First Order. Vonreg, a highly skilled pilot, proved more than a match for the three New Republic pilots, and Sion and Gabon were concerned that they would all be shot down before Dameron's arrival. Xiono, however, was insistent that the mission had to be completed. He ordered Sion and Gabon to escape into hyperspace as he covered them, reasoning that the mission could still be completed with one pilot. He promised to follow right behind them.
Alone, Xiono held out against Vonreg briefly before his engines were shot out. As he and his astromech R2-C4 tried in a panic to restore the engine power before Vonreg shot them down, Dameron arrived just in time, drawing Vonreg away from the disabled T-85 X-wing. As the two fought, Xiono managed to get his weapons online, and suggested to Dameron that he lead Vonreg towards him. When Dameron did so, Xiono opened fire on Vonreg, damaging his ship, and he was forced to flee.
Aftermath[edit | edit source]
Shortly after, a CR90 corvette dropped out of hyperspace to pick up the two X-wing pilots. Onboard, Xiono delivered the data to Dameron, who reported to General Leia Organa via hologram. After finding the eager Xiono attempting to listen in, Dameron told him that the intelligence revealed that the First Order was planning to launch a major attack on the New Republic. Eager to help, Xiono begged to join the Resistance, and Dameron agreed, assigning him on a mission as a spy to the Colossus platform on the planet Castilon, where his piloting skills would assist with his cover.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Station Theta Black" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Rebuilding the Resistance" (Indirect mention only)
Sources[edit | edit source]
- (First pictured)
- Star Wars Resistance: Meet the Pilots
- Path of Resistance
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Rebel Starfighters Owners' Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 59 (Starfighter Aces: Poe Dameron – Fighting the 'Cold War')
- Star Wars: X-Wing Second Edition – Major Vonreg's TIE Expansion Pack (Card: ) (Picture only)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Poe Dameron 25
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Recruit"
- "Resistance Revisited"—Star Wars Insider 190 establishes that the events of Star Wars Resistance Season One, which this event occurs during, take place thirty years after the Battle of Endor, which corresponds to 34 ABY, according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas.