- "I must be out of my mind. The Empire knows I hijacked the Executor and knows that I'm in this cargo container on my way to the Arc Hammer. It's just me against a waiting army that knows exactly where I am and what I want to do. Is this fun or what?"
- ―Kyle Katarn
He gathered clues throughout the galaxy as to what the troopers were, and how to stop them. After stealing a nava card from Nar Shaddaa and learning the Arc Hammer's location, Katarn ventured to the Imperial Fuel Station Ergo, through which he boarded the Executor, and then the Hammer.
Setting the chargesEdit
Katarn boarded the Arc Hammer through an automated cargo container. From the cargo bay, he ripped through the inner defenses. His objective was to plant three sequencer charges in 3 exhaust ports to destroy the ship and escape in a Lambda-class T-4a shuttle. He made his way through the inner mazes of the factory ship and planted the three charges. Kyle cleared the hangar bay of dark troopers and opened the shuttle hangar bay door.
He was greeted by an enormous dark mechanical figure.
The final battleEdit
- "It's been a long time since I've challenged a man to battle. I'm glad my opponent is so worthy."
- ―General Mohc reveals the ultimate phase of his project in his showdown with Katarn
General Rom Mohc, creator of the dark troopers, confronted Katarn in his Phase III dark trooper exosuit, the greatest of the super-trooper phases; 1 of only 3 built. The two clashed in the hangar bays, both sustaining critical wounds.
In a last desperate attempt to penetrate the armor of the exosuit, Katarn fired volleys of beams and mortars into the thick armor. Mohc's powersuit malfunctioned and exploded, leaving his body in pieces.
The genius behind the dark trooper project was bested in battle.
- "This is an unfortunate setback. The Force is strong with Katarn."
- ―Darth Vader, on the destruction of the Arc Hammer.
The ship's launch bays exploded, igniting the gas tanks and engulfing the entire ship in flames. Kyle had successfully shut down the dark trooper project.
Still furious over the loss of the first Death Star, Emperor Palpatine was so infuriated with the loss of the Arc Hammer that he ceased all funding for the dark troopers. Though much of the dark trooper project was shut down, some less-powerful dark troopers remained in operation throughout the rest of the Galactic Civil War.
- Star Wars: Dark Forces (First appearance)
- Dark Forces: Official Player's Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The New Essential Chronology
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide