The Model 44 was a low-powered blaster, featuring a shorter barrel than the Power 5. This weapon was carried by Imperial officers aboard the first Death Star. The Model 44 was also the pistol carried by Leia Organa during her masquerade as the bounty hunter Boushh.
Behind the scenes
Like almost all the other weapon props used in the Original trilogy, the design of the 44 was based on an actual weapon. In this case, the German "Broomhandle" Mauser pistol was used and modified. The Mauser is the same weapon upon which the DL-44 heavy blaster pistol (popularized by Han Solo) was built.
To make the Model 44, various odds and ends were attached to the Mauser, as well as certain pieces (most notably, the Mauser's long barrel) being hacked off.
The Power 5 heavy blaster pistol was also based on the German Mauser. The most noticeable difference between it and the 44 is the Power 5's flash suppressor and full barrel.
- Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (As "Model 44")
- Instant Adventures
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Premiere Limited (Card: Blaster) (backup link)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic (Picture only)
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Dangerous Covenants
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook