Moff was the rank held by the Sector Governors of the First Galactic Empire. In the fifth year of Emperor Sheev Palpatine's reign, there was a fixed number of twenty Moffs, who answered to the Imperial Ruling Council. That year, the senior rank of Grand Moff was created and awarded to Wilhuff Tarkin. As a symbol of their charge, Moffs wore a rank insignia plaque bearing ten colored squares: five blue over three red and two gold.
Moffs were in command of their sector's Sector Group, a formation that contained assets from the Imperial Military and intelligence. Moffs could be appointed by the Emperor or an advisor, but were obligated to report to both. A Grand Moff, overseer of an Oversector, could override any Moff.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, Moff Jerjerrod wore the rank plaque of a commander due to a costuming error. The rank badge specific to Moffs was first depicted in an illustration by Joe Corroney for Tarkin Revealed, an article by Michael Kogge that was published in Star Wars Insider 153.
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- Dawn of Rebellion
- Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide
- Star Wars: Geektionary: The Galaxy from A - Z
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia, New Edition
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian – "Directing"