The Monarch of Naboo was the elected king or queen of the Royal House of Naboo, the monarchy that governed the human denizens of the planet. The people of Naboo often elected young women, believing they possessed a form of pure, childlike wisdom that the adults lacked. Queens of Naboo included Padmé Amidala, who served two terms, the first of which included the Invasion of Naboo; Jamillia, who served shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars; Neeyutnee, who served during the war; Apailana, who served during the early days of the Galactic Empire, Dalné, who served around 3 BBY; and Sosha Soruna, who served around the time following the Battle of Endor. Amidala was preceded by Queen Sanandrassa, who was herself preceded by Réillata, who served one term before successfully running again to serve a second term after Amidala's tenure. The monarch was aided by the Naboo Royal Advisory Council. The proper form of address for a former queen of Naboo was "M'Lady."
List of known rulers of Naboo
|fl. 40 BBY||Unidentified Queen of Naboo|
|Prior to 36 BBY||King Veruna|
|36 BBY–34 BBY||Queen Réillata|
|34 BBY–32 BBY||Queen Sanandrassa|
|32–28 BBY||Queen Padmé Amidala|
|28 BBY–||Queen Réillata|
|24 BBY–||Queen Jamillia|
|fl. 21 BBY||Queen Neeyutnee|
|fl. 19 BBY||Queen Apailana|
|fl. 3 BBY||Queen Dalné|
|fl. 4 ABY||Queen Sosha Soruna|
Behind the scenes
The 2016 reference book Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded states that King Veruna preceded Padmé Amidala as monarch of Naboo, with Star Wars: Complete Locations adding that he ruled for 13 years. The novel Tarkin further states that Naboo was ruled by a king fifteen years before the rise of the Galactic Empire. However, the novel Queen's Shadow states that monarchs are limited to two two-year terms, and its prequel Queen's Peril instead names Amidala's predecessors as Queens Sanandrassa and Réillata, who both served for one term.
Queen's Shadow established that monarchs of Naboo serve for two-year terms. However, "Naboo," an issue of the French Star Wars Encyclopedia, states that a term was four years. This article assumes that the previously defined term length of two years is correct.
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Queen's Shadow
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places Princess Leia Organa's birth in 19 BBY. The events of Leia, Princess of Alderaan commence just after Organa's sixteenth birthday, which place the events of the novel in 3 BBY.
- Shattered Empire 2
- Queen's Peril
- Star Wars: Complete Vehicles
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- "Naboo" – Star Wars Encyclopedia