- "And as your King, I pledge my loyalty to all people of Mon Cala."
- ―King Lee-Char of Mon Cala
A monarchy was a system of government in which an individual known as a monarch, usually titled king or queen depending on gender, held a degree of authority. An individual could become a monarch through inheritance, with the title being passed down through familial ties known as a royal bloodline, or through democratic election. If inherited, the title and role of monarch was most often held until death. The amount of power a monarch could exercise varied from government to government, ranging from them having a purely ceremonial role, to being bound by a constitution, to wielding absolute power. Some monarchies had a council of officials who would advise the monarch in political matters.
In ancient times, hereditary nobility was seen as a legitimate system of election, however, by the time of the New Republic, very few still took the concept seriously. As such, many monarchies became largely ceremonial.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Exit from Endor" (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III (In flashback(s))