- "Too bad for the guild, their secret recipe wasn't ever really a secret to begin with. I might be riskin' some serious legal ramifications by passin' along my own personal blend for the syrup, but if the guild wants to get their hands on me, they're gonna have to go through a lot of happy customers first."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Moogan Spice Syrup was a sweet, spiced, brown-colored syrup that was used to make Moogan Tea. It shared its name with the Moogan species of the planet Mooga where it originated. Throughout the Outer Rim, cantinas brewed daily batches of the popular tea using its well-known recipe.
By 21 BBY, the Commerce Guild had become one of the galaxy's most powerful companies, taken over Mooga, trademarked the drink, and began producing bottled and canned versions as Ardees Beverage through its Ardees Beverage Company manufacturing plant. The guild used corporate surveillance droids to send cease and desist transmissions to anyone utilizing its proprietary recipe for homemade brews. Despite the possible legal ramifications, the Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs included his own personal recipes for Moogan Spice Syrup and Moogan Tea in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which he published in 34 ABY.
Behind the scenes
Moogan Spice Syrup was one of the recipes included in the 2019 Star Wars cookbook, Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was written by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak. The out-of-universe recipe uses vanilla extract, a cinnamon stick, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and water to create a syrup.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the skirmish at the Sundari docks, an event depicted in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Corruption," to 21 BBY. As that episode has the first appearance of Ardees Beverage, the Commerce Guild must have begun to produce it by 21 BBY.
- Star Wars - The Official Magazine 84 (Database: War Win(ner)s)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.