- "Careful we must be. Deserted this planet was, long ago, after many wars."
Moraband, known in antiquity as Korriban, was an Outer Rim planet that was home to the ancient Sith. The desolate and mountainous world was abandoned after many ancient wars. The Valley of the Dark Lords on the planet's surface was the final resting place of Darth Bane, the Sith Lord who created the Rule of Two. During the Clone Wars, Yoda ventured to the abandoned world as part of his journey to discover the secrets of eternal consciousness.
A world of mountains and red sands, Moraband was abandoned after widespread devastation during numerous wars. Located on the surface was the Valley of the Dark Lords, a wasteland filled with the tombs of ancient Sith Lords such as Darth Bane, among others.
- "Master Yoda has come to Moraband, although why, I do not know. We shall, however, use the strong bond that once existed between you and your master to allow us to see things that we otherwise could not."
- ―Darth Sidious, to Darth Tyranus
Moraband, known as Korriban in ancient times, was the homeworld of the Sith. It once had a fertile habitat, much like Exegol, Ziost, and Asog, though the worlds fell to the dominion of the Sith and Moraband was left an abandoned wasteland after their many wars. Despite this, its existence was never forgotten by the Sith. Darth Bane, who created the Rule of Two a millennium before the rise of the Galactic Empire, was the last Sith Lord to be buried at Moraband's Valley of the Dark Lords.
During the Clone Wars, Yoda was sent to Moraband by the Force Priestesses as part of his journey to discover the secrets of eternal consciousness. Once there, he encountered a number of Sith spirits, including that of Darth Bane himself. As he ventured further into the Valley of the Dark Lords, he encountered visions created by Darth Sidious, the reigning Dark Lord of the Sith who attempted to corrupt Yoda to help win the Clone Wars. The plan failed, and Yoda left Moraband behind. During one of his first visits to Moraband, Sidious discovered and stole a huge Sith holocron, which he later stored in his secret lair in the Grand Republic Medical Facility.
The Valley of the Dark Lords was an area of Moraband that contained numerous monuments serving as crypts for deceased Darks Lords of the Sith. The largest monument in the valley housed the tomb of Darth Bane, the founder of the Rule of Two.
The Sith temple was the largest monument in the Valley of the Dark Lords, a corridor of ancient monuments that serve as crypts for the Dark Lords of the Sith. It contained the tomb of Darth Bane, the Sith Lord who founded the Rule of Two, and a massive execution chamber that the ancient Sith used to sacrifice Jedi prisoners. Another Sith temple on Moraband was one that housed the Sword of Khashyun. The temple had many booby traps, giant sentries, and Sith hounds that protected the temple and the sword.
Behind the scenes
Moraband originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where it was first mentioned, albeit indirectly, in the first issue of the comic miniseries Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi - Dark Lords of the Sith, which was written by Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson, and published by Dark Horse Comics on October 1, 1994. It subsequently debuted in the following issue, which was written by Veitch and Anderson, illustrated by Chris Gossett, and published by Dark Horse on November 1 of the same year. The planet was initially known as "Korriban," a name coined by Anderson.
In the current Star Wars canon continuity, the planet Moraband was first mentioned in "Destiny," an episode in the sixth season of the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and made its first appearance in the following episode, "Sacrifice." During the production of the episodes, the team behind The Clone Wars planned to use the pre-established name "Korriban" for the planet. However, Star Wars creator George Lucas preferred the name "Moraband" and as such the planet was renamed to reflect his wishes. The name "Korriban" was later reintroduced into canon as an ancient name for Moraband in "Gaze of Stone," a short story written by George Mann and published in the 2019 short story collection Myths & Fables.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destiny" (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice" (First appearance)
- "Disturbance"—From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (Mentioned only)
- From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Galaxy's Edge 4 (In flashback(s))
- Galaxy's Edge 5 (In flashback(s))
- "Gaze of Stone"—Myths & Fables (In flashback(s))
- Myths & Fables audiobook (In flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel audiobook (Mentioned only)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Sacrifice"
- Galaxy's Edge 4
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Destiny"
- "Gaze of Stone"—Myths & Fables
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: A Junior Novel
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Dark Side
- Tales of the Jedi – Dark Lords of the Sith 1
- Tales of the Jedi – Dark Lords of the Sith 2