- "The lives of these citizens mean nothing to me. Now, because of you, these people will suffer."
- ―Morgan Elsbeth, to Ahsoka Tano
Morgan Elsbeth was a human female who was later instrumental in the construction of the Imperial Navy during the reign of the Galactic Empire. By around 9 ABY, she served as magistrate of Calodan on the planet Corvus. Elsbeth was in possession of a spear made of pure beskar, and offered it as payment to Din Djarin if he killed the former Jedi Ahsoka Tano. However, Djarin and Tano banded together and ended up defeating Elsbeth and her forces. Upon besting the magistrate in combat, Tano demanded Elsbeth reveal the location of her master, Grand Admiral Thrawn.
Biography[edit | edit source]
Early life[edit | edit source]
- "Morgan Elsbeth. During the Clone Wars, her people were massacred. She survived, and let her anger fuel an industry which helped build the Imperial Starfleet. She plundered worlds, destroying them in the process."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, to Din Djarin
During the Clone Wars, Morgan Elsbeth's people were massacred, angering the woman and eventually pushing her to assist in strengthening the Imperial Navy by plundering entire worlds of their natural resources. At some point in her life, she also acquired a pure beskar staff, which she gained hand-to-hand combat proficiency in.
Encounter on Calodan[edit | edit source]
Sometime prior to circa 9 ABY Elsbeth had obtained the position of magistrate of the city of Calodan, a walled-in city located on the forest planet of Corvus. She employed Lang, a human male mercenary, to act as her personal enforcer and leader of her army.
Around 9 ABY, Elsbeth encountered former Jedi Ahsoka Tano, who confronted the magistrate and demanded that she give up the information she possessed regarding the whereabouts of Elsbeth's master, Mitth'raw'nuruodo. She refused and threatened to execute the city's inhabitants unless peace was reached.
Din Djarin, a Mandalorian bounty hunter, later arrived on Corvus in search of Tano and approached Elsbeth's villa, where she offered him a contract to kill Tano in exchange for her pure beskar staff. Djarin inquired where the Jedi was, as he was actually searching out Tano to have her train the youngling Grogu as a Jedi, though this was unbeknownst to Elsbeth. When he locates Ahsoka the two team up in order to overthrow Elsbeth. After a long battle with Elsbeth's army and a duel with Elsbeth herself, the pair succeeded and Tano defeated Elsbeth, ending her rule over Calodan.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Elsbeth made her first appearance in "Chapter 13: The Jedi," the fifth episode of the season two of the television series The Mandalorian, written and directed by Dave Filoni and released on Disney+ on November 27, 2020. She was portrayed by Diana Lee Inosanto, with Lauren Kim serving as a stunt double.
Inosanto's hair and makeup were done by Maria Sandoval and Alexei Dmitriew, respectively. According to Sandoval, Elsbeth was one of the last survivors of Dathomir, a planet whose people were devastated in the Clone Wars, just as Elsbeth's were. However, no connection was made in The Mandalorian between the two groups and there has been no official confirmation.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The Mandalorian – "Chapter 13: The Jedi"
- The Mandalorian is set about five years after the events of Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 4 ABY. Therefore, the events of "Chapter 13: The Jedi", including Elsbeth's time as magistrate, must have been taken place in 9 ABY. establishes that
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"