- "I don't understand. What is this place?"
"Unlike any other. A conduit through which the entire Force of the universe flows."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and the vision of Qui-Gon Jinn
Mortis was an ethereal realm within the Force which was whispered over in legends and stories passed down through the millennia by Jedi, Sith, and the average spacer alike. It was believed to have existed outside any star system, and potentially the galaxy or even the universe. Some believed that the origins of the Force came from Mortis.
- "Have you noticed the seasons seem to change with the time of day?"
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker
Mortis was a realm of the Force which contained dreamlike environments; it could not be mapped, and even its landmarks appeared in different locations frequently. The daytime was a time of peace during which luminous creatures moved about lush fields, green mountains, and stunning vistas. Dense forests, molten caverns, and floating mountains above the surface were among some of the different biospheres. The light had a healing quality, though it came from no star. When night fell the plants withered and died, the creatures vanished, and the few stars that shone in the black sky were unidentifiable. Scalding rains swept the terrain, making survival without shelter near impossible.
Entrance to the realm was never voluntary, as Mortis drew in its visitors inexplicably. It manifested itself in different ways; Mortis was reported as having appeared as a giant, metal octahedron floating in space; other times individuals walked through a door or landed there without discernible reason. Time within Mortis had no meaning; what seemed like days or weeks within the realm, passed within seconds without.
The realm of Mortis was inhabited by only three intelligent beings, Force wielders locked in an eternal struggle for dominance over one another: the Son, who represented the destructive and deadly aspects of the realm; the Daughter, who represented peace and creation on Mortis; and the Father, who maintained the balance of the Force between them. Mortis was therefore a fulcrum for the galaxy and a conduit through which the Force flowed.
- "When news reached me that the chosen one had been found, I needed to see for myself."
"The chosen one is a myth."
"Is it? I should very much like to know. Why don't we find out together? Pass one test, and I shall know the truth. Then you and your friends may leave."
- ―The Father and Anakin Skywalker
During the Clone Wars, the Father drew Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Ahsoka Tano into the realm. The Father realized that Skywalker was the Chosen One, and that he could maintain the balance of the Force between the two children once the Father died. This led to a struggle between the Force wielders and the three Jedi, culminating in the deaths of all three wielders and the restoration of balance on Mortis.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Overlords" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Altar of Mortis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Ghosts of Mortis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voices" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wolves and a Door" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "A World Between Worlds" (Indirect mention only)