- "Want a simple snack that packs a lot of flavor without packin' on the kilos? Then you might wanna grab a healthy handful of moss chips."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Moss chips were a type of simple and healthy wafer snack made from moss or similar green alternatives. The chips were flavorsome and could settle digestive systems upset by more decadent foodstuff. The Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs was not a fan of edible moss until he tried crispy moss chips made by a group of campers on the moon of Yavin 4.
In 34 ABY, Tuggs included a recipe for moss chips in his cookbook The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. In the book, he claimed that the chips were a staple on nearly every planet he had visited, with nearly limitless variations on the dish existing. The moss chip recipe in the book originated on the planet Dantooine and substituted leafy greens for moss.
Behind the scenes
In the new Star Wars canon, moss chips were introduced as a recipe in the 2019 cookbook Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was written by Marc Sumerak and Chelsea Monroe-Cassel. The book's out-of-universe recipe requires large kale leaves, honey, olive oil, white miso paste, ground ginger, and a splash of boiling water. Moss chips originated in the Star Wars Legends continuity, where they first appeared in Karen Traviss' 2007 novel Republic Commando: True Colors.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Build the Millennium Falcon 42 (Guide to the Galaxy: Planets and Moons)
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- Republic Commando: True Colors