- "Your father would be proud of who you have become."
- ―General Leia Organa, to Aftab Ackbar when visiting the Mourning Shrines
The Mourning Shrines was a memorial located underwater on the planet Mon Cala. The shrines consisted of multiple large blue statues of Mon Calamari greats, including Admiral Gial Ackbar. The memorial was surrounded by coral and eels.
In 34 ABY, during a Resistance mission to Mon Cala, General Leia Organa visited the Mourning Shrines to honor the late Admiral Ackbar alongside his son, Aftab Ackbar. While at the shrines, Aftab inserted a shell into the mouth of one of the statues, believing that his father's soul was there. Aftab thanked Organa for visiting the shrines, though he correctly surmised that it was not the purpose of her visit. The pair then departed on a submarine.
Behind the scenes
The Mourning Shrines appeared in the second issue of Marvel Comics' Star Wars: Allegiance mini-series. The comic was written by Ethan Sacks, illustrated by Luke Ross, and published on October 16, 2019. The shrines were first revealed in a preview for the comic released on October 9 of that year on StarWars.com.
In LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, the player may choose to raid the Mon Calamari MC80 Star Cruiser Home One, if the player chooses to do so, they will confront Mon Calamari Captain Fo Skoolan aboard the cruiser, who expresses his fears for his life, stating that he did not plan to join the Mourning shrines at that time.
- Allegiance 2 (First appearance)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (Mentioned only)
- (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Allegiance 2
- The events of Star Wars: Allegiance take place between Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. The Star Wars Book places the Battle of Batuu from Galaxy's Edge in the same year as The Force Awakens, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 34 ABY. Therefore, Allegiance's events take place in 34 ABY as well.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga