Biology and appearance[edit | edit source]
Mrlssi were flightless avian humanoids, less than one meter tall on average. Their bodies were covered in gray feathers, while their head was bare except for a fringe of feathers covering the back of their head. Their head feathers were brown in young Mrlssi, but became more colorful with age.
Society and culture[edit | edit source]
When they spoke in their native language, it was considered very musical. However, when they vocalized in Basic, many species found it grating. Mrlssi were not very adventurous and were rarely found off their home planet. When they did travel, they did so with a specific purpose and destination and quickly returned home. They were quick-witted and very curious and valued knowledge more than material possessions. Mrlssi figured themselves as great humorists, as humor was a key part of their societal structure. Despite this, offworlders tended to find Mrlssi humor to be complex and unintelligible. Common names within the Mrlssi culture included Crlisst Herssek, Kepor Dagwa, Krsslbel Waray, Pagda Luwa, and Virssl Jasst.
History[edit | edit source]
When their civilization was first developing, the planet Mrlsst was geologically unstable. Mrlssi found that while possessions and buildings were impermanent, knowledge could not be lost. Millennia later, once their continents had stabilized, this tradition continued. Though the Mrlssi still had not developed space travel when Galactic Republic and Tapani scouts made contact with them around 7308 BBY they quickly caught up to the rest of the galaxy by reverse-engineering hyperdrives and modern computers. By the time of the Galactic Empire, Mrlssi universities were among the finest in the Tapani sector, attracting students of all species.
The Mrlsst Trade and Science Academy was one of their leading applied science institutions. Its research led to many findings that eased the shipping of food and livestock between worlds, along with innovations that became standard practice in regards to building structures and vessels on a planet or in space. Mrlssi stayed out of the wars of the galaxy, and their planet was mostly left alone. They did suffer some discrimination under the New Order due to its Humanocentrism views. In 5 ABY, Grand Admiral Thrawn attacked Mrlsst, destroying many of its ancient and beautiful campuses. They quickly rebuilt and continued to be at the forefront of learning and science.
Mrlssi in the galaxy[edit | edit source]
Those Mrlssi found off their homeworld were typically attached to political groups in some way, while adventurers might find employment as tech specialists. Enrollment in the Jedi Order was high before the rise of the Galactic Empire as quite a few were discovered to be Force-sensitive.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Mrlssi illustration in Ultimate Alien Anthology differs noticeably from previous depictions, most notably in the presence of a beak and pupils. No canonical explanation for this has yet been provided, and all subsequent art of the species has followed with this depiction.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Shadow of Revan (Mentioned only)
- "Marked"—Star Wars Tales 24 (Picture only)
- Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
- (Mentioned only)
- Boba Fett: Hunted
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Republic: Into the Unknown
- Dark Times 15: Blue Harvest, Part 3
- Death Star (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron: The Phantom Affair (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron: Masquerade (Mentioned only)
- The Last Command comic
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Essential Guide to Planets and Moons
- Lords of the Expanse
- Tapani Sector Instant Adventures
- Player's Guide to Tapani
- Alien Encounters
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Alien Anthology
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galaxy of Intrigue
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook (Indirect mention only)