- "The princess of the Mudgub tribe!"
- ―Gorph guard, announcing another candidate for Prince Vork's hand in marriage
The Mudgubs were a species of sentient bipeds who lived on the Forest Moon of Endor. They had large eyes and long, blunt snouts, as well as hairy, ear-like projections on the sides of the head. Rather than standing straight up like humanoid species, Mudgubs squatted with their legs splayed. The Mudgubs of Endor were organized as a tribe and recognized at least some of their members as royalty.
In 3 ABY, the Mudgub princess was invited to the grotto home of a pompous species known as the Gorphs. There, she had an audience with Queen Slugga for consideration as a bride to Prince Vork. Eventually, however, the queen rejected the princess.
Biology and appearance
- "I like her, Ma! I like her!"
- ―Prince Vork, upon seeing the princess of the Mudgub tribe
The Mudgubs were a species of sentient, gray-skinned bipeds who stood about 0.33 meters tall. They had long, thin legs that, when at rest, splayed out to either side and folded at the knees so as to bring the belly close to the ground. Their feet were narrow and long, with three pointed toes. Their arms, also thin, were short in comparison to the rest of the body and terminated in hands with three fingers each. A long, wispy tail grew from the Mudgub posterior and ended in a barbed point.
The Mudgub head was large in relation to the body and was wider than it was tall. A bulbous snout was the dominant feature; this was divided by a wide mouth with plastic lips that could show emotion. Whether naturally or via make-up, some Mudgubs had large, red lips. Above the snout sat two bulbous white eyes with long eyelashes. Toward the back of the head were two projections that resembled ears with dark-colored fuzz fringing them. Some Mudgubs wore jewelry, such as earrings and necklaces.
Society and culture
Mudgubs lived in tribes, and at least one member of the species was recognized as a princess; her status was indicated by a gold-colored crown. Some Mudgubs had high-pitched voices. The Mudgubs of the moon Endor had relations with other groups, including the Gorphs led by Queen Slugga.
- "Eh! Much too common!"
- ―Queen Slugga, just prior to casting the princess of the Mudgubs into the pit
In 3 ABY, the princess of the Mudgub tribe of Endor was chosen for an audience with Queen Slugga of the Gorphs as a potential bride for her son, Prince Vork. The princess was brought to an antechamber in the Gorphs' grotto, where she awaited her summons along with the princess of the Titterbugs. The Mudgub princess was escorted before the queen first. Although Vork seemed to approve of her, Queen Slugga felt her too common and ordered her thrown into a large hole in the grotto floor known as "the pit." The Mudgub princess fell through with a shriek.
Behind the scenes
Mudgub appeared in "Princess Latara," an episode of the Ewoks animated series that first aired on September 20, 1986. It was written by Paul Dini. The story features only one Mudgub character, who has no lines. Her scream is provided by an uncredited voice artist.
Notes and references
- Ewoks—"Princess Latara"
- The Mudgub princess stands as high as a Gorph's waist, and the Ewok Latara stands about three times this height.
- "Star Wars Publications Timeline" – Star Wars Insider 23 dates the events of the Ewoks television series, which include the appearance of the Mudgubs in "Princess Latara," to three years after the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which corresponds to 3 ABY, according to The New Essential Chronology.
- "A Star Wars CELibration" – Star Wars Insider 27