- "One of the most interestin' uses of munch-fungus I've witnessed, though, is when it's baked unto a traditional Twi'lek bread, like this lovely little loaf here."
- ―Strono Tuggs, The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
Munch-fungus loaf was a type of bread from the planet Ryloth. The brown-colored loaves were consumable by Twi'leks and Artiodacs and carried a warm, pungent taste as well as a hint of spice. Munch-fungus loaves were made from munch-fungus mushrooms.
At some point, Artiodac chef Strono Tuggs learned the recipe for the loaves, and in 34 ABY, he included a recipe for the bread in his The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook. In the book, Tuggs noted that it was one of the most interesting ways to use munch-fungus, and he called it both a unique accompaniment to any meal and irresistible to snack on.
Behind the scenes
Munch-fungus loaf was first introduced to the new Star Wars canon in the 2019 recipe book Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook, which was authored by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel and Marc Sumerak. The bread's out-of-universe recipe calls for the ingredients olive oil, fresh mushrooms, garlic, soy sauce, red curry paste, water, honey, instant dry yeast, sugar, yogurt, pepper, salt, and flour.
In the Star Wars Legends continuity, the food was known as munch-fungus bread. It was introduced in Platt's Starport Guide, a sourcebook for West End Games' Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game written by Peter M. Schweighofer and published in 1995.
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook
- Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: The Official Black Spire Outpost Cookbook establishes that the in-universe book was published at the same time as when the First Order was searching for the Resistance base on Batuu. As that search occurs in Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire, which is set in 34 ABY according to the reasoning here, the cookbook must have been published in 34 ABY.
- Platt's Starport Guide