- "This one's been cored perfectly."
- ―Kazuda Xiono
Najra-Va was a rocky planetoid in the Dassal system of the Unknown Regions, orbited by a once-inhabited moon. Along with the other planetoids in the system, Najra-Va was cored out by the First Order as a test for the Starkiller Base superweapon. However, unlike the other worlds, Najra-Va remained mostly intact after the tests, albeit with a core shaft straight through the planetoid's center. The Resistance pilots Kazuda Xiono and Poe Dameron flew through the planetoid's core shaft while investigating the First Order presence in the system.
- "What is that? Poe?"
"Yeah, I see it. It's a gravity well."
- ―Kazuda Xiono and Poe Dameron
Located in the Dassal system, within Sector Epsilon 51-3 of the Unknown Regions, Najra-Va was a rocky terrestrial planetoid orbited by a formerly-inhabited moon. After the militant First Order cored out the planets in the system, Najra-Va was left with a circular tunnel that covered its entire diameter. Despite no longer having matter in its core, a gravity well still existed in the center of the planetoid. Najra-Va orbited a single sun, which disappeared due to the First Order's experiments.
- "Why would someone do this?"
"Patience, kid. That's what we're gonna find out."
- ―Kazuda Xiono and Poe Dameron
During the Cold War between the First Order and the New Republic-funded Resistance, the planetoids of the Dassal system were located in the First Order's Sector Epsilon 51-3. They were cored out by the First Order as tests for the construction of the Starkiller Base superweapon, which also caused the disappearance of the system's sun. Unlike the other planetoids in the system, which cracked and broke apart, Najra-Va was left mostly undamaged, aside from the massive hole that had been mined through its core.
After retrieving intelligence from the First Order, the Resistance spy Kazuda Xiono learned of its activity in the Dassal system. Informing fellow Resistance member Poe Dameron, the two pilots then investigated the system. Discovering the cored and broken planetoids, they came across Najra-Va and flew through its core. The pilots almost crashed their starships due to the planetoid's intact gravity well but managed to escape through the other side of Najra-Va, landing on its moon. Once the First Order was alerted to their presence by a probe droid, Dameron and Xiono were chased back into Najra-Va's core by several TIE fighters led by First Order Major Elrik Vonreg. The Resistance pilots used the gravity well to their advantage, causing the enemy fighters to crash, which forced Vonreg to retreat and allowed the pair to escape.
Behind the scenes
Najra-Va first appeared in the Star Wars Resistance episode "The Core Problem," which aired on February 17, 2019. Concept artwork for the planetoid's core shaft was created by Jim Moore. The planetoid's name was identified in the StarWars.com Databank entry for the Dassal system.
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Core Problem" (First appearance)
- Star Wars Resistance – "Descent" (Indirect mention only)
- "Resistance Revisited"—Star Wars Insider 190 (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own X-Wing 59 (Starfighter Aces: Poe Dameron – Fighting the 'Cold War') (Indirect mention only)
- The Star Wars Book
- "Empire and First Order Battle Stations" – Star Wars Encyclopedia
- "Resistance Revisited"—Star Wars Insider Special Edition 2022 (Indirect mention only)
- (First identified as Najra-Va)
Notes and references
- Star Wars Resistance – "The Core Problem"
- The Star Wars Resistance episode "Descent" places Poe Dameron and Kazuda Xiono's mission from the preceding episode, "The Core Problem," in Sector Epsilon 51-3. Furthermore, establishes the mission to have taken place in the Dassal system, which is the location of Najra-Va, according to "The Core Problem."
- Star Wars Resistance – "Descent"