- "Only through sacrifice of many Jedi will the Order cleanse the sin done to the nameless. The danger of the past is not past, but sleeps in an egg. When the egg cracks, it will threaten the galaxy entire. When the Force itself sickens, past and future must split and combine. A Chosen One shall come […]"
- ―A Jedi prophecy of the Chosen One
The Nameless were entities spoken of in tales known to the Jedi Order. After their lessons, clan-mates of the Jedi Initiate Dooku often swapped tales of the Nameless, among other phantasmagoria. However, Dooku himself did not engage in the stories, distancing himself from the "overactive imagination" of his peers.
According to a holocron that contained the prophecy of the Chosen One, a sin was done to the nameless that required the sacrifice of many Jedi to be cleared away by the Order. The holocron further stated that dangers of the past only remained dormant, and the entire galaxy would be at threat once the darkness was released. Thus, when the Force itself falls to corruption, a Chosen One would come, fatherless, and ultimately restore balance to the Force. While training his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn continued to study the holocron and its ancient prophecies, having become facinated with them as a Padawan himself under Dooku's tutelage.
While detained in the castle of the Sith Lord Darth Vader on the planet Mustafar during the war between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance, Alliance lieutenant Thom Hudd spoke of knowing "the Curse of the Nameless." Hudd claimed that the tale was frightening enough to keep one awake at night, and mentioned other dark tales such as "The Silent Circle." While Hudd had brought up the tales in an attempt to stall a bored Vaneé—the horror-loving aide of Vader in the castle—from executing him, Vaneé nonetheless expressed his disinterest in Hudd's stories and prepared to kill the rebel. Despite Vaneé's efforts, Hudd was rescued by Lina Graf, a fellow rebel.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Nameless were first mentioned in the 2019 audiobook Dooku: Jedi Lost, written by Cavan Scott. Sketches of creatures labeled "Nameless" appeared in the announcement trailer for Star Wars: The High Republic, a publishing initiative that includes Scott among its writers. Iain McCaig produced concept art of the Nameless. Sketches of the Nameless feature two figures of varying height and amount of limbs.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Dooku: Jedi Lost (First mentioned)
- Dooku: Jedi Lost script (Mentioned only)
- Master & Apprentice (Mentioned only)
- Master & Apprentice audiobook (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Adventures: Return to Vader's Castle 4 (Mentioned only)