Nang hul, known in Basic as thud bugs, were a type of projectile biot engineered by the Yuuzhan Vong. They were used by Yuuzhan Vong warriors, who would throw them at victims. If the thud bug missed its target, it would fly in a loop back to its warrior.
The thud bug was a beetle with sharp, jagged legs and wings. They were among the most common "bug" weapons used by the Yuuzhan Vong, such as blast bugs and razor bugs. Its wings were very powerful, emitting a loud buzzing sound when active, and causing a distinctive "thud" when striking an object. A thud bug's maximum velocity could exceed 150 kilometers per hour, knocking an opponent to the ground or breaking limbs. Thud bugs could also be used in such a way so as to stun or disorient targets, making them easy prey for capture. Thud bugs had the ability to home in on their target, even turning corners. Masters of these weapons could cause the thud bug to return to their hand if they missed their target. Thud bugs shaped from sparkbees were the baseline for all such "bug" weapons.
Thud bugs could be killed with a lightsaber, but their sturdy exoskeletons usually could not be broken in normal combat. If a thud bug became lodged in the ground, it could free itself using its wings and legs. They could simply be thrown at their target or shot at foes using a thud bug launcher.
These biots served as the primary ranged weapon of the Yuuzhan Vong warrior. Following the Yuuzhan Vong War they became outlawed, but were still used by such underworld types as Jariah Syn. It is known that some existed on Zonama Sekot where they joined the tampasi.
Around 25 ABY, Yomin Carr, a Yuuzhan Vong warrior, engaged in combat with Jedi Mara Jade Skywalker in the ExGal-4 listening post on the planet Belkadan. Yomin Carr used many weapons against Mara Jade Skywalker, including throwing a dozen thud bugs at her, but she deflected them with her lightsaber. Yomin Carr was killed in the duel.
Jariah Syn, a Human bounty hunter, used thud bugs and razor bugs. He was taught how to use these alien weapons by Chonyo, a Yuuzhan Vong crewmember on the Crimson Axe. In 137 ABY, a skirmish occurred in Brogar's Safe House on the planet Lok, where Jariah Syn threw a thud bug at Hosk Trey'lis, a Bothan Jedi Knight who was on the run from the Sith. The shot from the thud bug knocked Hosk Trey'lis unconscious.
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime (First appearance)
- Invasion: Rescues 3
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
- The New Jedi Order: Balance Point
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest (First identified as Nang hul)
- The New Jedi Order: Star by Star
- The New Jedi Order: Dark Journey (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines I: Rebel Dream
- The New Jedi Order: Enemy Lines II: Rebel Stand
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor
- The New Jedi Order: Ylesia
- The New Jedi Order: Destiny's Way
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic II: Refugee (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force
- Legacy of the Force: Betrayal (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Fury (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Fury audiobook (Talking Book Publishers Inc.) (Mentioned only)
- X-Wing: Mercy Kill
- Legacy 2
- Legacy 17
- Legacy 18 (In flashback(s))
- Legacy 26
- Legacy 37
- Legacy 40
- Legacy 45
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 70 (YUU3-4, Yuuzhan Vong Weapons)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars: Legacy 0
- Legacy Era Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Reader's Companion