The Nebulon-B2 frigate, sometimes referred to as the modified frigate, was a relative of the Nebulon-B escort frigate.
Though it shared a similar profile with its predecessor, the Nebulon-B2 differed in some key ways. The forward pod split into an inverted-V shape which allowed for greater surface area to mount weaponry; furthermore the connecting spar was heavier, rendering it less vulnerable to being split open by heavy fire, and the ship was about 50 meters shorter overall.
Sublight speed was 17% faster, and shield strength and hull durability were both improved. The Nebulon-B2 was also armed with a concussion missile launcher, which was not normally mounted on its predecessor.
Most of these ships served in the Imperial Navy, although a few ships found their way into the hands of the Rebel Alliance and other groups, probably in the same ways they acquired the original Nebulon-B. At least one of them may have been modified for medical duties.[source?]
Behind the scenes
Like many other craft pioneered by Star Wars: TIE Fighter, the Nebulon-B2 has not appeared in any official material outside of the games.
The Nebulon-B2 may seem somewhat under-gunned for a ship that is supposed to be superior to its predecessor and is described in-game as being "exceptionally well armed for its size." This is presumed to be due to the necessities of game mechanics, since a player in a single starfighter would have little chance of defeating a more realistically armed ship. In Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance, the source of the statistics for this ship, the original Nebulon-B is armed only with four turbolasers.
The Nebulon-B2 has gone through numerous changes between game versions. While its shielding and hull strength was equal to that of a Dreadnaught in Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of Power, its statistics were changed by X-wing Alliance, where it had weaker shielding and armor than its predecessor, and was also shorter.
- Star Wars: TIE Fighter (First appearance)
- Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire video game
- TIE Fighter: The Official Strategy Guide
- TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire: Official Secrets & Solutions
- TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM: The Official Strategy Guide
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 15 (NEB2, Nebulon-B Frigate)
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 38
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Meditation and Mastery (Card: Nebulon-B2 Frigate) (backup link)