- "Beautiful morning, isn't it, gentlemen? But then every morning in the Emperor's service is beautiful! Every ration square's the finest nerf steak! Every bunk's a featherbed!"
- ―Lieutenant Chiron to a group of Imperial cadets
Nerf steak was steak made from the meat of a nerf. Greeting a group of raw Imperial cadets running up the hills of Lothal's Academy for Young Imperials, Lieutenant Chiron told them that every ration square was the finest nerf steak.
In the Galactic Empire, it was sometimes traditional to offer a prisoner condemned to death a last meal, along with a choice of who was to bring it. When Zare Leonis was slated to executed for treason and other crimes, he sarcastically requested from Lieutenant Chiron a properly prepared nerf steak brought by a pirate captain with a fast ship for hire. Chiron unsurprisingly refused, so Leonis requested instead two jogan fruits brought by Beck Ollet.
When Luke Skywalker and Nakari Kelen were flying to Fex, Skywalker attempted to make them some nerf steak, but it was barely edible. "You sure can thaw a nerf steak" was all that Kelen was able to muster in tribute to the meal.
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (First mentioned)
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy (Mentioned only)
- Heir to the Jedi (First appearance)
- "The Perfect Weapon" (Mentioned only)
- Phasma (Mentioned only)