- "It is vital we demilitarize our government so that a galactic war cannot happen like this again."
- ―Chancellor Mon Mothma believed the New Republic needed to demilitarize
The New Republic Defense Force, also known as the New Republic military, or simply the Republic military, was the peacekeeping organization responsible for protecting the New Republic, the galactic government formed by the Alliance to Restore the Republic following their victory against the Galactic Empire at the Battle of Endor. However, following the Galactic Civil War, training and funding was allocated primarily to the local planetary defense forces, and the New Republic Defense Force was kept reduced via the Military Disarmament Act.
- "Democracy is not in need of defense. People are. And it's why we'll keep the ten percent. A peacekeeping force. The rest of our efforts will go toward training the militaries of other worlds. We will be a true Galactic alliance, and not a false one with an authoritarian sun at its center."
- ―Chancellor Mon Mothma
The New Republic Defense Force saw substantial action against the remnants of the Galactic Empire during the last stages of the Galactic Civil War. New Republic military forces took part in the rebellion on Akiva, the liberation of Kashyyyk, and the Battle of Jakku. Despite the Imperial defeat on Jakku, elements of the military particularly the Starfleet were ordered to remain on high alert for Imperial activity.
Chancellor Mon Mothma believed the government needed to demilitarize and make their military a peacekeeping force. The New Republic military was reduced by the Military Disarmament Act. While the military had sufficient resources to defend the galaxy about six years before the destruction of the Hosnian system, some Centrists like Senator Erudo Ro-Kiintor of Hevurion lobbied for the government to divert more funding into individual planetary defenses. In reality, this was a pretext for channeling government funding into Centrist worlds.
The military of the Republic fell under the command of the New Republic Command, a body of individuals that led the Republic's armed forces. During the early conflict between the First Order and the Resistance, the military forces of the Republic were ordered to not fire on the First Order due to the Galactic Senate desperately wanting to avoid another galactic war.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 13 (Databank A-Z: Poe Dameron–Delta 7-B)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 71 (Databank A-Z: Zam Wesell–Wexley) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Galactic Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Before the Awakening
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 Aftermath
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Bloodline
- ↑ "Blade Squadron: Kuat"—Star Wars Insider 168
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ Last Shot
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the formation of the New Republic as taking place thirty years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 4 ABY. Therefore, It can be deduced that the New Republic Defense Force was formed in 4 ABY as well.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Aftermath: Life Debt
- ↑ Lost Stars