The New Republic army was the land-based branch of the New Republic's Defense Force concerned with planetary surface tasks and operations. Following the Battle of Endor, New Republic army personnel took part in battles on numerous worlds including Naalol, Uyter, Sevarcos, Nag Ubdur, and Jakku.
New Republic army soldiers wore simple vest and utility belts. They were also equipped with rifles and blasters. Members of the New Republic army came from various different species. Some known units included the New Republic Thirty-First, the Third Recon Group, and the 61st Mobile Infantry.
Galactic Civil War
The New Republic army were the ground forces of the New Republic Defense Force, which originated from the Rebel Alliance's ground forces. Following the Battle of Endor, New Republic soldiers saw action during the Battle of Naalol, the Battle in Central City, and the Battle of Sevarcos in 4 ABY. Later, a ground forces unit known as the New Republic Thirty-First fought with Imperial forces on Nag Ubdur in 5 ABY. New Republic soldiers were sometimes accompanied by embedded HoloNet journalists including Tracene Kane and Lug from the Queen of the Core Network.
The army took part in the Battle of Jakku, a major battle which ended the Galactic Civil War in the New Republic's favor and led to the signing of the Galactic Concordance. During the battle, New Republic ground forces on Jakku were commanded by Lieutenant General Brockway, who corresponded with General Tyben. New Republic ground forces were landed by U-wings and lay siege to the Main Imperial base and other Imperial installations. Despite the signing of the Galactic Concordance, New Republic forces were locked in fighting against the Imperials for several months.
Rise of the First Order
After the Battle of Endor, Chancellor Mon Mothma made it clear that she wanted to demilitarize and make the remaining military a peacekeeping force. The New Republic did heavily demilitarize through the Military Disarmament Act.
During the reign of the First Order, New Republic soldiers appeared in several training simulators where the First Order stormtrooper FN-2187 and his fellow cadets assaulted a Republic outpost. While FN-2187 was able to kill the simulated soldiers, he found himself unable to kill civilians.
The New Republic soldier composed the army of the New Republic, and saw action in the Battle of Jakku.
Vehicles and machinery
Weapons and equipment
As the Galactic Civil War draw to a close, most weapons, vehicle, and equipment were of the rebellion era. But over time, weapons like the A280 blaster rifle were phased out in favor of newer weapons such as the EL-16HFE blaster rifle. Other weapons used by the army of the New Republic were the A280C blaster rifle, the E-11 medium blaster rifle, the M-45 repeating ion blaster, the DH-17 blaster pistol, and the DL-44 heavy blaster pistol. The army also employed thermal detonators, thermal imploders, and Sonic Imploders.
Notes and references
- Before the Awakening
- Shadow Fall
- Aftermath: Life Debt
- "Blade Squadron: Jakku" – Star Wars Insider 172
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary dates the formation of the New Republic as taking place thirty years before the Starkiller Incident, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates to 4 ABY. Therefore, It can be deduced that the New Republic army was formed in 4 ABY as well.
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas dates the Battle of Endor to 4 ABY and further dates Shara Bey and Kes Dameron's move to Yavin 4 in 5 ABY. The move is placed six months after the Battle of Endor by Before the Awakening. Since Aftermath: Life Debt is set just after Shadow Fall, which takes place around six months after the battle, the events of Life Debt must also occur in 5 ABY, around six months after the Battle of Endor.
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Battlefront II