Niado Duegad was a male native of the planet Vodran. His species was similar to the dianoga, a creature native to Duegad's homeworld. During the Galactic Civil War, a conflict between the Galactic Empire and the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Duegad served as a mercenary. His species and culture controlled their environment through terraforming abilities. Niado Duegad's enhanced adrenal glands allowed for short bursts of incredible strength. Duegad had reddish-brown skin with black stripes and a single hazel-colored eye. He also possessed a level of Force-attunement.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Niado Duegad's origins date back to the production stages of 1983's Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi, when several alien maquettes were created for possible inclusion in the scenes taking place in Jabba the Hutt's desert palace. The concept of a dianoga-like alien known as "Alien 18" was among those scrapped before the film's final release. Being non-humanoid, the "Alien 18" model was too difficult to realize as a puppet.
The alien was first named as Niado Duegad on a card showing a modified image of the maquette for the 1998 Special Edition Limited expansion set of Decipher, Inc.'s Star Wars Customizable Card Game, thus bringing the maquette into Star Wars Legends canon. According to a Star Wars CCG fan site, Niado Duegad was named as an anagram of "Dianoga Dude."
Sources[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Chronicles (First pictured) (Maquette only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Niado Duegad) (First mentioned)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Niado Duegad)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 213 ("Duegad, Niado")
- Star Wars: Chronicles
- Anagramed Decipherians. Corellian Engineering Corporation. GeoCities. Archived from the original on August 31, 2009. Retrieved on October 23, 2009.