- "Then the Melida invaded his village. His cousin escaped and took him to Zehava."
- ―Cerasi, recounting Nield's childhood to Obi-Wan Kenobi
A village on the planet of Melida/Daan was the home of the Daan child Nield and his cousin in the 50s BBY. In the late part of that decade, the Melida tribe, who were embroiled in a civil war with the Daan tribe, invaded the village, forcing Nield and his cousin to flee to the city of Zehava.
Behind the scenes
Nield's village is briefly mentioned in the 1999 young readers book The Defenders of the Dead, the fifth entry in Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice young readers series, as Nield's friend Cerasi recounts the struggles of Nield's childhood to Jedi Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi.
- Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead (First mentioned)
Notes and references
- Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead
- According to Jedi Apprentice: The Defenders of the Dead, Nield is approximately the same age as Obi-Wan Kenobi, who is thirteen at the time. The Essential Reader's Companion places the events of Defenders of the Dead in 44 BBY, meaning that Nield was born in approximately 57 BBY. Nield fled the village after a particular battle which occurred between two others—the first occurring when Nield was five, or approximately 52 BBY, and the second when he was eight, or approximately 49 BBY. The book also states that Nield had "a few peaceful years" between leaving his village and the battle in 49 BBY, so Nield must have departed his village sometime between 52 BBY and approximately 51 BBY.