These unique weapons were used by the Nightsisters, witches of the dark side in the waning days of the Old Republic. The bowstrings and arrows of the weapon were made of pure plasma, and emitted a bright pink glow. In the middle of the bowstring was a grip, so that the weapon could be fired without harming the user. When running out of plasma arrows, the string could be used as a bludgeon, to blind or burn the enemy.
During the Clone Wars, some of the Sisters under the command of Clan Mother Talzin used these energy bows. They were known as the Hunters, a group of special agents clad in red whose task was to follow blood trails.
The skills of a Hunter with her bow was considered to have capital influence on spreading the reputation of the Dathomiri witches. This is why Talzin recommended instructing her Sisters about using this specialty weapon in her manual Wild Power.
Many years later, after the instauration of the New Republic, the energy bows had become extremely rare and exotic weapons—according to Master Luke Skywalker of the New Jedi Order, who had spent a lot of time on Dathomir.
Behind the scenes
- The Wrath of Darth Maul
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Nightsisters" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Monster"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Witches of the Mist"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Shop" (Set: Nightsister)
- "50 Great Reasons to Rewatch Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season Three"—Star Wars Insider 125
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side