- "Your people will die for this. Not just you. Not just your pitiable fleet. All the Chiss. The Ascendancy will die, shredded like grain, ground down like stone, burned like withered grass. Every last cub will die… and you will die here and now, with the certain knowledge that you and you alone were the root and cause of their destruction."
"All because I cost you your foothold on Primea? Come now, General. You merely need to step away and start over. But I suggest you choose a different part of the Chaos for your next attempt. This region will no longer accept your smiles and promises."
- ―General Yiv and Senior Captain Thrawn
The Nikardun conquests were a campaign orchestrated by General Yiv of the Nikardun Destiny in an attempt to conquer various governments of the Unknown Regions. Yiv was successful in subjugating or otherwise making allies of several factions, but the involvement of the Chiss Ascendancy driven by Senior Captain Mitth'raw'nuruodo hindered and ultimately ruined Yiv's manipulations.
After a Nikardun attack on a refugee starship in Chiss territory, Captain Thrawn began to investigate the situation with the help of Admiral Ar'alani, discovering forces of the Nikardun Destiny in the Rapacc system. Throughout several encounters with Nikardun forces or their allies, Thrawn gained information about General Yiv and his regime, managing to outmaneuver the Nikardun in a battle near the Vak homeworld of Primea. Thrawn captured Yiv, who became a prisoner of the Chiss Ascendancy. Following Yiv's disappearance, no successor to Yiv was able to consolidate power and repair the damage Thrawn had done to their empire. As a result, the Nikardun conquests fell apart.
After interrogating the imprisoned Yiv, the Ascendancy learned the locations of remnants of Yiv's forces. Sufficiently convinced of the threat posed by these Nikardun remnants, the Syndicure allowed the Chiss Expansionary Defense Fleet to "bend" the protocols prohibiting pre-emptive strikes to hunt them down in the Nikardun campaigns. Two months after the battle over Primea, the Chiss were conducting the mission to the Vak Combine and believed they had nearly completed the Nikardun campaigns.
Behind the scenes
The Nikardun conquests provided the main plot of the 2020 novel Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising by Timothy Zahn. They also set the stage for the plot to destroy the Chiss Ascendancy, which served as the main plot of Chaos Rising's 2021 sequel Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good. Greater Good revealed that the Grysk Hegemony agent Haplif instigated the Nikardun Destiny to conduct the attack at the edge of the Dioya system to distract the Chiss from discovering the Sunrise Civil War he had engineered.
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising (First appearance, simultaneous with Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising audiobook)
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising audiobook
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good (Indirect mention only)
- Thrawn Ascendancy: Greater Good audiobook (Indirect mention only)