The OG-9 homing spider droid, also known as the spider droid, was a model of large, four-legged battle droid manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop. They were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars, and saw use at the Battle of Geonosis, Battle of Mimban, and Battle of Felucia.
A menacing, tank-like, and gigantic walker utilized by the Commerce Guild and the Confederacy of Independent Systems, the OG-9 homing spider droid was the heavy tank variety of spider droid, and the DSD1 dwarf spider droid was an antipersonnel variety. Both were manufactured by Baktoid Armor Workshop, and the homing spider droid consisted of a spherical body suspended between four mechanical legs. A powerful reactor was at the heart of the central body, and this center armored reactor core also contained a red photoreceptor optical array and two comlink antennae.
The OG-9 homing spider droid, or referred to simply as the spider droid, moved slowly on its long mechanical legs. The legs contained heavy-duty joints, were armored to hide the inner hydraulics, and could straighten to raise the core. On the bottom of each leg was an all-terrain footpad, and at the top were the leg-piston drivers.
This battle droid also contained long legs that maintained an imposing mix of speed and destructive power; the droid was armed with dish-shaped laser cannons in the form of a top-mounted long-range laser emplacement for attack. This laser cannon targeted for deflector shields to release sustained-fire shots to quickly wear down a shield. The homing spider droid also possessed a bottom-mounted short-range laser cannon for defense against ground attacks. This rotating laser targeted infantry to keep them at bay.
Before the Clone Wars and GeonosisEdit
Before the Clone Wars the Commence Guild, which comprised several notable corporations in the galaxy, used the OG-9 homing spider droid for contract enforcement, and for use against its adversaries such as delinquent creditors. However, shortly prior to the start of the Clone Wars the Commence Guild joined the Confederacy of Independent Systems, and the homing spider droid became part the Droid Army of the Separatists, which included battle droids of groups like the Commence Guild, Trade Federation, and Techno Union.
Not longer after the Commerce Guild joined the Separatists the Clone Wars began with the Battle of Geonosis. 7,500 homing spider droids were used to devastating effect by Separatist forces. During the battle, the tank-like spider droids of the Separatists brought up the rear of the droid forces when combating ground forces of the Grand Army of the Republic. Homing spider droids attacked All Terrain Tactical Enforcers and clone trooper formations on the battlefield, but the droid forces would ultimately retreat, and the Battle of Geonosis proved to be a Republic victory.
The homing spider droids were used throughout the Clone Wars. During the Battle of Mimban, homing spider droids were among Separatist forces fighting against the Republic. During the fighting spider droids and other battle droids engaged the Republic's 501st Legion and Mud Jumpers. Clone Captain "Rex" ordered the 501st to advance and for the Mud Jumpers to back up Jedi General Laan Tik. Tik instead stated that they could take care of themselves, and Rex called for clone trooper "Hardcase" to get Junior Representative Jar Jar Binks, who had been brought to interface with the local Mimbanese, out of danger. However, General Tik was struck and killed, and the chain of command fell to Binks. Binks was at Tik's corpse, and told the body that Tiks was very bombad, and a homing spider droid fired nearby. Rex ordered for a retreat from the current battle. The captain told Hardcase to lay down covering fire and told "Jesse" to get Binks to safety.
In 19 BBY, several homing spider droids were fielded on Felucia alongside Armored Assault Tanks during a battle against the forces of Jedi General Aayla Secura. However, the droid forces of the Separatists would be shut down not long after.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense (First identified as OG-9 homing spider droid)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- "501 Plus One"—Age of Republic Special 1
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Ultimate Factivity Collection: Star Wars (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (First identified as spider droid)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- Star Wars: Droidography
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "501 Plus One"—Age of Republic Special 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith