- "Drop your weapons! I said drop 'em."
- ―A security battle droid confronting Jedi intruders
OOM-series security droids, also known as security battle droids, Specialist Droids, or B1 security droids, were part of the OOM-series line and a type of security droid manufactured by Baktoid Combat Automata for the Trade Federation Droid Army, and later used in the Separatist Droid Army. They were distinguished from other droids by the red markings on their bodies.
During the Invasion of Naboo, security droids served aboard the Saak'ak and were deployed to the planet Naboo, but the Federation was defeated when the Droid Control Ship Vuutun Palaa was destroyed. Later, during the Clone Wars, security battle droids were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems, seeing use at locations like starships and the Citadel prison. Unfortunately for the Separatists, Darth Vader slaughtered the Council, as well as cutting down their security droids, and ordered the shut down of the Droid Army.
- "I wasn't programmed for this."
- ―A security battle droid, after being crushed by an explosive
OOM-series security droids were a type of security droid and part of the OOM-series battle droid line. As battle droids of this line, they could do more functions than the line's successors, the B1 battle droid, due to the amount of independent reasoning in the OOM-series' programming. Despite this, the OOM-series eventually became part of the B1-series. The OOM security droid was also known as the B1 security droid. Their role of security droids was shown by their red coloring. The droids could be equipped with an E-5 blaster rifle and, although not all units wore one, a comlink booster pack. Some were also deployed as marksmen, wielding E-5s sniper rifles.
Invasion of NabooEdit
At some point during the history of the security droid, a unit was taken out by friendly fire as two other battle droids fired at their targets. During the Invasion of Naboo, group of security battle droids, which included a security droid with the rank of corporal, under the command of an OOM command battle droid were ordered by the Viceroy of the Trade Federation, Nute Gunray, to eliminate two Jedi ambassadors aboard the Saak'ak. The Jedi, Master Qui-Gon Jinn and his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, had been sent by the Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum to negotiate the Trade Federation bloackade of Naboo. The security droids were ultimately destroyed by the pair of Jedi. Another group was sent by Gunray to take Queen Padmé Amidala, Captain Panaka and others to Camp Four only to be ambushed by the same Jedi duo and cut to pieces. The other security battle droids on Naboo were likely shut down after the destruction of the Droid Control Ship.
- "Sir, the prisoners did not make it to the interrogation level."
"Er...We think they might have got..."
- ―A security battle droid and Osi Sobeck.
During the Clone Wars, these droids were used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems in its Droid Army. On the battlefield security droids could be deployed among regular infantry and be used as on-the-spot guards for recently captured territory, although they did not function as well in direct combat as the regular infantry cousins. They were also still used as security forces and guards. Many security battle droids were stationed on the Citadel prison on Lola Sayu. At least one security battle droid was under the command General Grievous prior to the Battle of Dathomir. The droid reported that the Separatist starships were approaching Dathomir, and after this Grievous ordered to begin landing their troops. Many security battle droids also participated in the Carida incident, which saw the transformation of a Venator-class Star Destroyer into an explosive weapon, which was foiled by D-Squad. BD-15959 was a security battle droid that participated in the Mission to Utapau.
In the last year of the Clone Wars, General Grievous attacked the Galactic Republic's headquarters on Coruscant and captured Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine, the legendary Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker were sent to rescue him from the Confederacy. A large group of security battle droids in the hangar attacked the Jedi aboard Grievous's flagship, the Invisible Hand, but were all destroyed. When the Jedi duo retreated from a pair of droidekas into a lift, they realised that several security battle droids were on the same lift and proceeded to eliminate the droids. Other units escorted the Separatist Council to the volcanic planet of Mustafar and were cut down along with the aides and leaders when Darth Vader arrived. Following the slaughter of the Separatist leaders all Separatist droid units were shut down.
Behind the scenesEdit
Security battle droids heavily appear in the Battle of Kashyyyk sequence in Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. The security droids are used as if they are B1 battle droids, and can be seen riding on the sides of NR-N99 Persuader-class droid enforcers as B1s do in the scene. Due to this their inclusion in this scene is possibly a movie mistake, and instead regular B1s were maybe meant to be used.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First identified as Specialist Droid)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Unfinished Business"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Ultimate Star Wars (as security droid)
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia (First identified as security battle droid)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Spirit of Rebellion (Card: Friendly Fire) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 31 (Droid Directory: B1-series Battle Droids Part 2) (First identified as OOM-series security droid)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition (as security droid)
- Star Wars: Destiny – Across the Galaxy (Card: ) (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Legion – B1 Battle Droids Upgrade Expansion (Card: ) (First identified as B1 security droid)
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars, New Edition
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars: Build Your Own R2-D2 31 (Droid Directory: B1-series Battle Droids Part 2)
- ↑ Star Wars: Legion – B1 Battle Droids Upgrade Expansion (Card: )
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Battlefront II
- ↑ Star Wars: Destiny – Spirit of Rebellion (Card: Friendly Fire)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Massacre"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- ↑ In "The Big Bang," Grievous calls for BD-15959 to report where Obi-Wan Kenobi is. As Grievous sent security battle droids to pick up Kenobi, it can be deduced that BD-15959 is one of the security droids sent to pick him up, however it is not known which of the droids it is.
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"