- "Activating strategic control circuits."
- ―An OOM command droid
OOM command battle droids were a type of battle droid utilized by both the Trade Federation and the Separatist Alliance during conflicts such as the Invasion of Naboo and the Clone Wars to act as commanders and leaders of droid forces, though they were often subservient to their organic officers and the more advanced tactical droids. Some notable OOM command battle droids included OOM-9, who led the Battle of Naboo on the side of the Trade Federation, and B1-268, who was part of a Separatist holdout on Agamar.
OOM command battle droids were designated by their dull yellow markings on their bodies. The droids possessed enhanced cognitive and tactical modules, and were used to lead droid forces. The droids were often subservient to organic officers and more advanced tactical droids, however. In absence the of a higher officer an OOM command battle droid was granted control of military forces.
The Invasion of NabooEdit
In 32 BBY, the galactic corporation known as the Trade Federation invaded the small Mid Rim planet of Naboo in protest of taxation it received from the Galactic Republic. To try to resolve the conflict, Supreme Chancellor Finis Valorum sent two Jedi, Master Qui-Gon Jinn and Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, to the blockade of Federation ships. The Federation tried to kill the two however, and a unit of security battle droids under the command of an OOM command battle droid arrived. The droid officer ordered for a security droid corporal to check on the Jedi, but the two quickly destroyed it, the OOM command droid, and the rest of the security droids.
Not long after the Jedi's arrival the Trade Federation Droid Army began to land on Naboo. OOM-9 served as the commander of droid forces on the planet, and moved his troops into the planet's city of Theed and against the planet's Gungan villages. OOM-9 commanded battle droid forces in the Great Grass Plains against the Gungan Grand Army during the final phases of the occupation, but was shut down following the destruction of the Droid control ship with the rest of the droid army.
The Clone WarsEdit
OOM Command battle droids became part of the Separatist Droid Army during the Clone Wars, and at least one saw action in the Battle of Geonosis, and this droid was destroyed by Jedi Master Mace Windu. During the war, OOM command battle droids would see action against the Grand Army of the Republic on numerous battlefronts, including on the planet Christophsis, the planet Teth, the Rishi moon, and the planet Anaxes. They saw action until the end of the war, and at least one was present with the Separatist Council on Mustafar. The droid, all of the council, their aides, and all guards were killed by Darth Vader when he arrived on the planet. Following the slaughter, Darth Sidious ordered Vader to send out a droid shutdown signal. This signal shut down all Separatist droid units in that received it, including the OOM command battle droids.
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as OOM command battle droid)
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Tales from Vandor (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Star Wars Rebels – "The Last Battle"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Rookies"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Bad Batch"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ In Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, Darth Sidious has Darth Vader order the shut down of "all droid units." OOM command battle droids were part of the Separatist Droid Army, as shown in media like Revenge of the Sith, and so it can be deduced this order includes them. In The Last Battle Captain Rex also states that the "whole droid army was given a shut down command," confirming the order was sent and that all droids in the army were able to be affected.