- "Don't bother with them! Keep the ship in orbit!"
- ―General Grievous, to OOM pilot battle droids during the Battle of Coruscant
OOM pilot battle droids, also known as B1 pilot battle droids, were a type of OOM-series battle droid. The battle droid was used by the Trade Federation, and later, the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. Pilot battle droids had blue markings on their bodies to distinguish them from other battle droids. They were often seen aboard Trade Federation and Confederate starships.
- "You were build to obey orders, not to question them!"
- ―General Grievous, to an OOM pilot battle droid
The OOM pilot battle droids were designed to serve as pilots to control starships, such as the cruisers of the Confederacy navy, but they could also serve as gunners for artillery. Pilot battle droids could also be used as soldiers if armed with a blaster.
Pilot battle droids were part of the OOM-series line, which was a line of battle droids that had more independent reasoning in their programming than the line's successor, the B1 battle droid. This programming let OOM droids perform more functions than B1s, and the pilot droid's blue coloring denoted their specialist function, although B1s were also used to crew starships. Still, the OOM pilots possessed a more-advanced cognitive capabilities than the basic B1 infantry.
OOM pilot battle droids were part of the OOM-series line, which was created before the Trade Federation constructed its army of B1 battle droids, and were used as crews aboard Federation starships. They saw use in the Federation's Lucrehulk-class Battleships during the Invasion of Naboo. After most of Naboo's blockade dispersed, the only battleship above Naboo was the Droid Control Ship Vuutun Palaa. However, all pilot droids and Neimoidians aboard were killed when Anakin Skywalker destroyed Droid Control Ship during the Battle of Naboo.
When the Trade Federation gave its Droid Army to the Confederacy of Independent Systems, OOM pilot droids saw use by the Separatists. Two OOM pilot battle droids stood by Viceroy Nute Gunray and Rune Haako as they entered a Sheathipede-class transport shuttle to escape the Battle of Geonosis, the first battle of the Clone Wars. Once the shuttle began to take off, the pilot droids and the organic Separatists around them moved away. During the mission to sweep outer corridor of space, an OOM pilot battle droid served aboard General Grievous's Munificent-class star frigate, and the droid notably disagreed with Grievous's decision to launch all starfighters to combat Anakin Skywalker. The fighters were launched to combat the Jedi Knight, however. During the infiltration of the Citadel, the Republic used three reprogrammed OOM pilot battle droids to fly shuttle 81572 and deliver an extraction team to the Citadel prison. Ultimately, all three units sacrificed themselves to protect their Republic allies, including their commanding officer, R2-D2.
OOM pilot battle droids were used by the Separatists for the entirely of the Clone Wars. They were used aboard the Invisible Hand during the Battle of Coruscant. When Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi were aboard the dreadnought, General Grievous ordered for the pilots to keep working on the ship instead of trying to fight the Jedi Generals. After Grievous fled his command ship and it began to crash onto Coruscant, the pilot battle droids and Neimoidian officers on the bridge tried to flee, but several of the pilot droids were cut down by Kenobi and Skywalker. Not long afterwards, at the end of the war, the Sith Lord Darth Vader, executed the Separatist Council and shut down all Separatist droid units.
Behind the scenesEdit
Star Wars: Droidography and Rise of the Separatists state that OOM pilot battle droids are a variant of the B1 battle droid, while Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition a establishes that they are part of the OOM-series. This article assumes the latter reference book is correct.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Star Wars Battlefront II (DLC)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- Age of Republic - General Grievous 1
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mystery of a Thousand Moons"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Point of No Return"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Unknown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Tarkin (First identified as OOM pilot battle droid)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Droidography (First identified as B1 pilot battle droid)
- (First identified as pilot battle droids)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary, New Edition
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Rise of the Separatists
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Citadel"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Tarkin
- ↑ Star Wars: Droidography