- "Silly thing. Was just working a minute ago."
- ―Obi-Wan Kenobi after his lightsaber malfunctions
Obi-Wan Kenobi's third lightsaber was the third, and final, lightsaber to be constructed and wielded by Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi during the Clone Wars after he lost his second one prior to the First Battle of Geonosis. This design branched out from his former two lightsabers-both being designed after his master Qui-Gon Jinn's lightsaber-showing his growth as an independent Jedi, especially after his promotion to the Jedi Council. He used this lightsaber in a duel with General Grievous, where he lost it and eventually reclaimed it when it was given back to him by Clone Commander CC-2224 "Cody." He would also use this lightsaber to duel his fallen apprentice Darth Vader on Mustafar and would continue to wield the weapon during his exile on the planet Tatooine, although he was reluctant to use it as he kept himself hidden.
After using the lightsaber against the Wookiee bounty hunter Krrsantan, Kenobi buried his lightsaber, along with the Skywalker lightsaber, in a chest out in the desert to avoid using it. However, when Senator Bail Prestor Organa begged him to leave Tatooine to save his daughter Leia Organa, Kenobi uncovered the chest and wielded it during his mission to Daiyu, as well as on Mapuzo, where he confronted his former apprentice after he only recently learned Skywalker wasn't dead and that he, in fact, survived the injuries Obi-Wan inflicted on Mustafar. Kenobi would see what his apprentice had become and would finally ignite his lightsaber once more to defend himself. Skywalker, now fully turned into Darth Vader wouldn't hold back would slander and attacked Kenobi with powerful lightsaber strikes, using his strength to overwhelm Kenobi who hadn't fought saber-to-saber since the events of their last duel and was out of practice. Vader grabbed Kenobi in a Force choke, disarming him, and lighting the flammable ground on fire, throwing Obi-Wan to the ground, causing Kenobi to start to be burned alive; Vader wanting Kenobi to experience the similar torment he had felt on the ground of Mustafar. Tala Durith, a member of the Path distracted Vader and his stormtroopers with an ambush long enough for the loader droid NED-B to pick the injured Kenobi off the ground and escape under the cover of the flames, recovering Kenobi's lightsaber in the process.
Kenobi continued to use the blade up until his death at the hands of Vader during their rematch on the Death Star. Kenobi's second apprentice, Luke Skywalker, later used this weapon's design as a basis for the construction of his own lightsaber, further carrying on the legacies of both Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn.
Behind the scenes
- "In here, of course, we have Obi-Wan lightsaber. This was designed to be exactly like his hero lightsaber from the prequels. What they did do is age it so that it made a little bit of patina on the emitter and also the base just to make it look as if it had been a decade or so since it's been used."
- ―A member of the Lucasfilm Archives discussing the lightsaber prop used in Obi-Wan Kenobi
Obi Wan Kenobi's third lightsaber first appeared in the first Star Wars film, Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. It was first identified by a card in Star Wars: Card Trader. The original prop was created from the balance pipe of a Rolls-Royce Derwent jet engine, a World War I–era No. 3 Mark I British rifle grenade, a battery pack, and a faucet handle.
During production of the Obi-Wan Kenobi television series, the prop making team made a lightsaber prop that was designed to be exactly like the hero lightsaber seen in the prequel trilogy. The team aged the prop so that it made a little bit of patina on the emitter and the base to make it look like the lightsaber hadn't been used in about a decade.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Disney Infinity 3.0
- Star Wars Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Mission to Mos Eisley" (In flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- The LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special
- LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Notes and references
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Obi-Wan Kenobi's third lightsaber was constructed between the First Battle of Geonosis and the Battle of Christophsis which according to Star Wars: Galactic Atlas occurred in 22 BBY. Therefore it can be deduced that Kenobi constructed his third and final lightsaber in 22 BBY.
- Star Wars Lightsabers: A Guide to Weapons of the Force
- — The kyber crystal Databank entry states that there is a kyber crystal "at the heart of every Jedi lightsaber."
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars (2015) 7
- Star Wars (2015) 20
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – "Part I"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – "Part II"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi – "Part III"
- Star Wars: The Lightsaber Collection