Observatories were structures that the Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Sidious established across the galaxy in or prior to 20 BBY, when he was still the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic. While all such buildings were laboratories of sorts, each looked beyond the galactic rim in a different direction and was infused with a specific purpose. Some hosted weapon designs or the weapons themselves, while others housed ancient Sith artifacts, and others still were prisons in which the lifeforces of those captured were harnessed. The Jakku Observatory, located near the Plaintive Hand plateau, was meant to play a role in the Contingency. Another Observatory was located on the planet Pillio.
- Star Wars Battlefront II (First pictured)
- Shadow Fall (Indirect mention only)
- Shadow Fall audiobook (Indirect mention only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt (First mentioned, simultaneous with Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook) (Indirect mention only)
- Aftermath: Life Debt audiobook
- Aftermath: Empire's End (First appearance, simultaneous with Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook)
- Aftermath: Empire's End audiobook
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker audiobook
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Helmet Collection 61 (Databank A-Z: Unknown Regions–Utai)
- Star Wars: Battles that Changed the Galaxy
- (Picture only)
Notes and references
- In Aftermath: Empire's End, the Observatories are shown to have existed at least twenty-five years prior to the novel's present time. Since Empire's End features the Battle of Jakku, which Star Wars: Galactic Atlas places in 5 ABY, the date of 20 BBY can be deduced using simple math.
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Deception"