- "Look at the size of that thing."
The octuptarra magna tri-droid, also simply known as the tri-droid, was an extremely sized-up version of the octuptarra combat tri-droid used by the Techno Union and the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars.
The tri-droid was an up-scaled version of the smaller octuptarra combat tri-droid. The Techno Union developed the combat version first, re-using the design later for the much larger heavy artillery version of an infantry battle droid.
Chain-fed ordnance launchers replaced the laser cannons of its predecessors, with the reserves of ammunition stored within the hollows of its bulbous head, although some models did retain laser cannons as seen in the Battle of Christophsis. One rocket fired from a single behemoth was powerful enough to annihilate a UT-AT if aimed correctly, as seen in the Battle of Mygeeto. These three-legged artillery droids were formidable in battle, reducing infantry and tanks to rubble. Their rotating multi-jointed assemblies allowed them to change facing almost instantly and they could fire from extended ranges. It was almost impossible to approach such droids, as all sides conceivably faced the front. The droid was also capable of hanging onto vertical surfaces, as seen during the Battle of Christophsis.
Prior to the battle, Asajj Ventress used one of the droids to escape from Generals Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. The droid was destroyed when it crashed to the ground from the building it was clung to, thanks to the two Jedi severing its limbs.
Some were present during the Battle of Utapau, and can be seen marching towards the approaching clone forces.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Databank gives the height of the tri-droid as 3.7 meters, which is incorrect, as all visual sources portray it as many times larger than a Human, and even the same Databank entry describes it as "gigantic" compared to the 3.6 meter octuptarra droid. The decoded episode of "The Hidden Enemy" was the first source that gave tri-droid's height as 50 feet tall.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film / novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes (Incorrectly referred to as "Octuptarra")
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures – "Republic Defender"
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Non-canonical appearance)
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- "Order 66: Destroy All Jedi"—Star Wars Insider 87
- Champions of the Force
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Incredible Vehicles (First identified as Octuptarra magna tri-droid)
- "Mini Magic!"—Star Wars Insider 130 (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit