Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The catamaran was named for the oevvaor, a predatory marine reptile that prowled the coasts of Kashyyyk. The hulls of the craft were very tough, as they were handcrafted from the wood of wroshyr trees.
The craft was also extremely quick and agile. They were powered by a compact twin repulsorlift, that provided lift for atmospheric flight, while also helping to decrease the overall mass of the catamaran, and a pair of podracer-style engines provided the forward thrust. Finally, a pair of rudders located at the end of each hull provided steering in both the air and the water.
History[edit | edit source]
The catamaran was not designed for combat in mind, as it was originally a sports and fishing craft. It was pressed into military service as a response to Confederacy's invasion of Kashyyyk. As a consequence, it was lightly armored and lacked any weaponry.
During the battle the passengers were equipped with their own personal bowcaster or blaster cannon, which could be supported on a small mount that was retrofitted on the craft for the purpose of stabilizing these weapons when firing.
Oevvaor catamarans were later employed to repel Imperial invasion forces during the early years of the Empire. Many catamarans had been retrofitted with missile launchers and repeating blasters following the end of the Separatist invasion.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The Wookiee catamaran was first designed as strictly a water vehicle, until George Lucas decided it needed to be part of the Wookiee air force. Late in production, Lucas thought that the catamaran was missing a strong visual indicator of its upward propulsion, and requested that the Art Department affix a rotor head at the top of the engine assembly. This came after much of the original catamaran artwork had been disseminated among the various publishers of spin-off books, so this central propeller is missing from many of the printed works.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- LEGO Star Wars: Revenge of the Brick (First appearance) (Non-canonical appearance)
- Star Wars: Battlefront II
- Star Wars: Republic: Hidden Enemy
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed game
Sources[edit | edit source]
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- "Ground Assault"—Star Wars Insider 83
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 30