- "Thank the maker! This oil bath is going to feel so good. I've got such a bad case of dust contamination, I can barely move!"
Oil baths, also known as lubrication baths, were a means of removing such things as dust, dirt, and various other forms of matter that collected in a droid's joints and sockets, similar to a regular water bath for Humans. Without treatment, the debris could cause the joints to become difficult to move or lock up altogether, a condition known as dust contamination.
- "Did you hear something go 'clank' a moment ago?"
"It was probably just my rusty knee joints."
"You too? I thought I was the only one who suffered from metal fatigue."
"Maybe it's because we're exposed to the elements."
- ―Two B1-Series battle droids
The Great Heep was known to provide such a cleansing, along with other pleasantries, to unassuming droids before consuming them.
Luke Skywalker treated C-3PO to an oil bath on the Lars moisture farm after his uncle Owen Lars purchased the droid from Nebit's Jawa tribe, which delighted him. Due to his memory wipe in 19 BBY, however, C-3PO was unaware that he had been similarly given an oil bath by a restless Padmé Amidala in the Lars garage when she needed a task to take her mind off Anakin's rescue of his mother. The bathing session had been much-needed, as the protocol droid had extensive amounts of sand and dirt lodged in his coverings.
- The Star Wars Sourcebook (As "lubrication bath")
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition (As "lubrication bath")
- Galladinium's Fantastic Technology (As "lubricant bath")
- Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
- Hideouts & Strongholds
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Agents of Deception (Card: Oil Bath)
- Star Wars: The Card Game – Core Set (Card: C-3PO)
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game
- Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Core Rulebook
- Far Horizons