- "Prepare interdiction."
- ―General Wedge Antilles, during the battle in the Duro system
Olovin was a Galactic Alliance Immobilizer 418 cruiser, produced by Sienar Fleet Systems, that accompanied General Wedge Antilles on a feint in the Duro system during the Yuuzhan Vong War. Olovin helped trap the Yuuzhan Vong forces near the planet Duro with its gravity well projectors, which allowed the Galactic Alliance to take the planet Fondor with little resistance.
Description[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
During the later stages of the Yuuzhan Vong War, in which the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy, Olovin was assigned to the Galactic Alliance's General Wedge Antilles, who commanded the Star Destroyer Mon Mothma. In 29 ABY,
Olovin and other Galactic Alliance warships accompanied Antilles and Mon Mothma to the Duro system, where they engaged the Yuuzhan Vong fleet elements stationed there in a feint. After the Galactic Alliance forces had fought for a day near the planet Duro, and after Yuuzhan Vong reinforcements had arrived from the Yuuzhan Vong–held world of Fondor, Olovin, along with Mon Mothma and the fellow Immobilizer 418 cruiser Memory of Ithor, activated its gravity well generators. The positioning of the trio of interdicting ships prevented the Yuuzhan Vong forces, which were arrayed around Duro, from leaving the star system as long as the interdictor line held. With the Yuuzhan Vong forces stuck at Duro, General Garm Bel Iblis was able to lead a Galactic Alliance force to victory over the minimal Yuuzhan Vong guard the invaders had left at Fondor and its shipyards.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Olovin appeared in 2003's The Final Prophecy, written by Greg Keyes as a part of The New Jedi Order series of novels. The interdictor later received an entry in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, released in 2008, which confirmed its ship class.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy (First appearance)
Sources[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
- The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels establishes Sienar Fleet Systems as the manufacturer of the Immobilizer 418 cruiser, the starship class of Olovin, according to The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 409 ("Olovin")
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 106 ("Interdictor-class cruiser")
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
- The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force places the Battle of Yuuzhan'tar nineteen days after the start of the novel, and the Battle of Esfandia—which occurs at the end of The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion—two months prior to the start of The Unifying Force. Thus, the Battles of Esfandia and Yuuzhan'tar are approximately three months apart. The Battle of Yuuzhan'tar occurs in 64:6, according to The Essential Atlas, so the Battle of Esfandia and the end of Reunion must therefore occur no earlier than 64:3, the first month of the year 29 ABY. Thus, The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy, which occurs between Reunion and The Unifying Force, must fall in 29 ABY, despite The Essential Reader's Companion placing it in 28 ABY.
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 305 ("Memory of Ithor")